advice wanted for hinges on Siebel SI 201 build

Richard Elvin 1

Good evening people, after a long time away from the hobby, 61 yearssurprise I am now in the process of getting all the components together to build a Siebel SI 201 designed by Tim Hooper and featured in the April 2010 edition of RCM&E..

Having spent a lot of time studying the plans before starting the build I have noticed that there is no mention on the plans or in the write up as to the type, positioning or fitment of hinges for the ailerons, rudder or elevator surfaces. Please excuse my ignorance in this matter, any help would be much appreciated, the learning curve is still vertical!!

Richard.

Advert

Hi Richard,

Welcome back to this ridiculous hobby!

A couple of points about the Siebel, if I may;

1. It's an interesting build, but NOT a suitable model for a beginner to fly. I'd aim for something more conventional on which to take flight for the first time in 60 years.

2. The full, multi-page, build thread dates back to 2009, and can be found on the RC Groups forum here;

**LINK**

I no longer have the model but, from imperfect memory, I can vaguely recall hinging the tail surfaces with the 'hairy CA' type of hinge, whilst the ailerons were top-hinged with silver Solartrim.

I really wouldn't bother with installing the flaps at all - just added complication.

The high, pusher thrustline wanted to make the model nose over whenever the throttle was advanced for take off, so I'd move the undercarriage forwards a tad, and perhaps add bigger wheels.

Sorry to sound so negative about the model, Richard, but it's more of a builders model than a fliers model (if you see what I mean!)

Tim

Tim Hooper, thank you for your response to my Siebel hinge post, I have already read your build thread ( many times!! ) and have also read Ton van Munsteren's build as well. I take on board your point that it is not a suitable model for a beginner to fly and I should have made it clear that I have spent most of the Summer getting to grips with a Wot 4 trainer, a mentor with the patience of a saint and a Phoenix flight sim.

My intention is to carry on with the Wot4 over the winter months, weather permitting, and use the flight sim during the long nights to try and keep my hand in whilst doing a slow build on the Siebel ready for Spring. I wasn't going to incorporate the flaps as with my current level of skill?? it would be another function to far!! dont know Thank you for your help in this matter Tim.

Richard.

Evening Tim, thank you for the kind words of encouragement, already a quick question, I have managed to buy a brand new Tower Pro 2409-18 as per your build, it has come as front mounted with the propeller shaft coming out of the front mount plate which is the wrong orientation. Any idea's how to correct this so that the prop shaft is at the front of the motor and the mount plate at the rear?

Richard.

Tim,I am unable to take photo's of the motor at the moment as my camera has decided to play up and wont charge, but if you type Tower Pro 2409-18 into either Robotbirds or Hobby King sites it comes up with pictures of the motor with the prop shaft exiting the mounting plate end.

After I wrote my post last night I turned to my ever faithful You Tube and found several vid's on how to reverse the shafts on brushless motors and today I have successfully carried out the conversion so that is another problem solved, all I have to do now is find a suitable engine mount and prop collect assembly and that's the engine side of things finished.

Richard.