SAS Viper Build info needed.

Hi Guys

Im new to Soaring but its something ive wanted to get into for a while since moving here to the Brecon Beacons it seem a waste not to use the slopes and wind around me.

Ive got an incomplete boxed "SAS VIPER" kit, thats missing all Hardware except spar,s , im not a novice builder but being my 1st Soaring wing i want to get it right.

Ive done a lot of searching for info on the interweb but can only find its CofG and control surface deflection, its a start i guess,

If anyone could give me build info or pictures of the Viper or something similar i would be very grateful

Thanks

Advert

Hi Penderyn Flyer, probably best to contact the designer, Alan Head of Soar Ahead Sailplanes (SAS). I am sure Alan wouldn't mind me saying that he is a bit of a character and a total glider enthusiast so I am sure he will be more than willing to help in supplying you with instructions and whatever you need to complete the model.

The Viper is not produced anymore but another flying wing the Mamba is I believe. In any event the hardware pack consists of two wire pushrods / clevises and a roll of crosswise tape which can be sourced easily online so shouldn't be a problem.

The carbon fibre spars can be glued in place with a little gorilla glue or Uhu Por adhesive. Add strips of the crosswise tape starting with the trailing edge and laying subsequent strips working spanwise forward towards the leading edge, with a quarter inch overlap. The wing does not require any special preparation apart from ensuring it is smooth and free from any dust. Once taped the wing is quite stiff and almost indestructible. The x-weave tape is used to hinge the elevons.

The model can be decorated with a roll of coloured tape which will give the wing some protection from the effects of the sun which can cause UV damage to the tape glue. So don't leave the model in front of a south facing window (as I did !) blush

Hope that helps, Have fun teeth 2

PS I have just found this build video so if you have some spare time (and patience) it might help.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/12/2019 09:47:25