Convert Hangar 9 PTS models to electric

Just looking through the oodles of websites for a training model and keep catching sight of these PTS models that allow you to continue beyond a training model.  I like the looks of the P51 and F22 (and lets face it thats whats really! important) that hanger 9 produce but its only I.C.  Has anyone heard of someone converting these models to electric flight? having read the build manuals on line it doesnt "appear" top be that difficult.

I did look at E-Flights T34 PTS but that was ruled out on cost before even reading the burb, suprised they dont provide different options of kit to allow you to use your own gear.

Any comments?

Advert

Not done one, but I believe these days that there is pretty much nothing which cant be successfully converted.

Work on either 100 watts per lb AUW, or try a simple rough and ready comparison ( which I actually hate doing ) called  "double up and zero".

This means...if its say a 40 2 stroke, then double it ( 80 ) and add a zero  (800 ) - you need 800 watts.

Choose a largish outrunner and a large prop. 

3 blader could be the answer -  smaller props can be used fine on electric too....its just that they tend to be very revvy and noisy - somewhat defeating the object. However, anything can be swung - from oversquare tiny little 3" jobs, right up to 18" and beyond. As for cost...well the motor for my Hangar 9 Sopwith camel swings a 16 x10 prop very sweetly, and cost just £19. Batteries too of course are getting real cheap.