FF9 Tx voltage display error

Mike Bell

I have been using my FF9 trannie for a few years now without any problems until last week.  I turned it on and despite the battery having been charged overnight the voltage reading was low and dropping rapidly.  I put the battery back on charge and it took only minutes to indicate a full capacity.  I suspected the battery to be the problem so bought a new one (2700mah Nimh) but it did the same thing - voltage indication straight off charge looked low (10.5v) and was dropping by 0.1v every minute or so.  Using the old battery I snipped one of the leads so I could place an ammeter in series and this indicated a current draw of around 270ma with the module in, which I believe is about right.

I know I will probably have to send it away for the problem to be fixed, but I was wondering if any one else had had the same and what the problem turned out to be.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I can report a similar problem with my FF9. Its just over 12 months old and has never been used to fly anything as yet. However, I keep everything in its original box, with the battery disconnected, and just keep the battery topped up every few months with the charging dates logged.

But just recently, I've noticed that in a matter of a couple of hours, just being switched on, without the module in, the voltage drops very fast.

Another query I have regarding the FF9 is without any programming, and with the servo's connected to the reciever etc, and batteries all charged up, should the servo's respond to relavent stick movements (mode 2) Or do you have to complete a certain amount of programming, relavent to a particular model name selected, before anything will work?

I ask this because a couple of nights ago, I decided to test the servo connections and control movements on my Uno - Wot and nothing would work from any stick inputs on the tranny.

I find the instruction book very difficult to follow and it took me ages to find the correct plug in point for the reciever battery on my R149DP. Also, its very easy to insert the battery plug into the reciever THE WRONG WAY ROUND!! This presumably could kill the reciever instantly.

John.

Hi John,

The problem on my transmitter seems to be associated with using it with a simulator.  If you haven't plugged a sim into yours I would suspect the battery, they often don't like to be stored unused.

Your servos should respond to the transmitter without any programming.  The only thing I can think of is to make sure the transmitter is set to the correct modulation ie PCM or PPM.  You will find this under Parameters in the program  menu.  If the modulation is wrong there will be no servo response for sure.

Mike