A Gemini or Minimag ?

I have being doing a bit of research into getting a plane to go with my CopterX 450 heli, and thank you to all those who have helped me so far.

As it says in the title I have narrowed it down to 2 Planes

The first is the Minimag using a http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&item=545motor with my 18A esc and a 2500mAh and also a 1345mAh 11.1v lipo (not at the same time lol)

The other is the Gemini with a http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/?page=shop&item=211motor with my 35A esc and a 2500mAh 11.1v lipo, or possibly one of these 3008-28 1253Kv 30A 400W, or 3008-32 1086Kv 28A 400W scorpion motors.

The rest of the gear would be a AR6100e rx, SG90 servos for rudder and elevator and some nano-s servos for the ailerons (for the longer leads)

Now I have never flown a fixed wing outside of Pheonix, but I can fly well in the sim with some wind added in. I live in SW and it is always windy so which of the two is better in the wind ?

What sort of flight times do you think I would get out them with those set ups ?

The Minimag is the more sensible choice but how much harder is it to fly the Gemini ? I can fly circuits with my heli so am well used to continuously putting corrections to all the controls.

Also what props would you recommend for each of those setups?

A lot of questions I know, but I want to get this right and not end up with the wrong bits having been there and done it with the heli !

Thanks for any help.

Advert

Probably if this is your first fixed wing then the sensible option would be the Minimag as high wing and inherently more stable though having said that the Gemini is not difficult to fly though can be quite quick. I have been flying a Twin Star for a couple of years to learn on and moved onto the Gemini a couple of weeks back with some trepidation but once a fellow flyer had maidened her, trimmed and passed fit for flying he gave me the sticks and off I went. I have to say rolls are fast compared to a Twin Star  and landing can be a bit tricky as the u/c is not brilliant. I do have the upgraded Acromaster power train so have nearly 300 watts on tap so as I say can be fast but can be slowed down to a sensible pace.

Hope that helps

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I went for the Mininmag in the end and I am loving it !

I went with the BRC brushless motor and a 7x5e prop. I also fitted an ar6200 receiver after I found I had some range issues with the 6100e receiver I had. I am using my 2500mAh batteries and getting about 20mins per flight out of them.

Here is a vid from this morning. Its blowing a bit and the camera man was having a litte trouble following the plane  

3rd Flying session