Boomerang Wing Repair

In the process of building the wing for this kit and was joining the two halves.  Took extra precautions and covered each half with cling film to avoid all that sticky epoxy going all over the place.

Got them joined and low and behold I have managed to puncture the covering which is looks extremely thin film. 

Will I be able to simple cover the hole with a solarfilm??? heat type material or what.

As you can appreciate Im as sick as a parrot and would be most gratefull for any advice.

Im also looking ahead  when the ultimate crash will come and this type of repair will be more than inevitable

Advert

Hamish, welcome to the forum. I assume you are talking abut the Seagull Boomerang Trainer. You can repair a hole in the fil in many ways if it is small you can even use sellotape. You can use solafill but be very careful when you heat it. Do not use too higher temperature as the Seagull film is very temperature sensitive and burns easily. I would suggest you try solatrim which is sticky backed coloured plastic film. Its easy to apply you do not need an iron, it stays tuck and is light.

The hole is just a small puncture, but its gone star shaped which will leave a hole about 25mm in diameter.  It is within two ribs and the l/e and t/e which is about 120mm square.

Had thought of attempting to bring together and hold with superglue, then covering.  

The main colouring is white with red and blue stripes

Well got there.

I fished cellotape in the inside to gather the bits together then put on Solartrim. Looks not bad although not as tight as the rest.  Solar suggests you can tighten with a bit heat but at the moment dont want to chance my luck.  Will invest in the other colours to complete the job.  Its the underside so will not be to visble in the pits and not so appartent when up.

Astonished as to how easy it was to damage and makes me fearful of the bushes at the flying field. Project is now on hold.

I have an old Maracado when I tried to learn 10 years ago which was a bit bashed and tired looking.  Its a lot more robust for a trainer as it has wing of foam covered in vineer.  Purest may shudder at my repairs as I have cut out parts of the leading edge that were damaged and also cut away some of the vineer and replaced.  Currently renovating an old car at the moment and having stripped all the old solartrim off the wing am using body filler to smooth out.

All this gives me more time on the simulator although I cant wait to do the real thing.

Will keep posting of progress