EasyGlider (E)

Well as mentioned in another thread I've got an EG to get back into flying. Gave a test glide the other evening and all seems well, doesn't half float! A quick question before I go for it properly. The recommended control throws are they adequate? The reason I asks is I'm finding it difficult to get the full 20mm on the ailerons, on the second from bottom hole on the control horn at the moment. The servo's seem to bind at the extremities, will they free up in use?

There's some common land not far from here with a bit of a slope so I'll take it there when the weather improves. 

Advert

Have you freed up the aileron hinges enough? They do need quite a lot of flexing up and down (rods disconnected) to make them pliable.

The recommended setup is fine - Multiplex seem very good in this respect - and I haven't changed mine at all.

I bought the radio ready version which was already set up, and had the pushrods connected to the outermost hole on the servos and the innermost hole on the aileron horns.

This gives the recommended 20mm movement.

I would advise about 50% exponential on both ailerons and elevator.

This baby is a really smooth flier and does not need large control inputs.

Would also advise the use of spoilerons for landing, otherwise it will float on forever!

Well I only have a basic Hitec 4ch radio so unfortunatley can't do anything fancy. Anyway, she flew this afternoon! Had a little go in the farmers feild behind my house. Could still do it after a 14 year lay off! It was quite calm, and landing took a few attempts as it floats on (which is what you want in a glider). Next flight I thought I'd better go somewhere 'proper' so of to a common a few villages away. It's a v gentle WNW slope and off she went, about 3 mins in I was caught by a gusty squall so I kept her up (nervous about the downwind turn). It cleared off and the wind died back so time to land, a lot more space here and it went ok.

My thought on this glider are it seems good, the stock setup is adequate (for what it's designed to do) I don''t see any need for more power. Look forward to thermalling, slopes will have to do for winter. Wish I had spoilers.

Finally, I'd forgotten how numb/cold your hands get this time of year whilst flying!

Glad it went well and you are back in the fold after 14 years.

With a lot of people going 2.4 Ghz, you can get some very reasonable second hand 35 Mhz 6 chanel transmitters such as the Futaba 6EX - this would give you the facility for spoilers using the flap dial.

For thermalling, I can recommend the Multiplex motor upgrade kit which gives three times the power - it shoots you up to thermal height in no time, then just cut the motor and off you go.

You also get the same number of flights per battery charge as the motor is not running for nearly as long.

Some of us go sloping in the winter - all you need is thermal  clothing, overtrousers, a good coat, hat, and some of those gloves with the ends of the fingers cut out! - and the abilty to fly whilst leaning forward at a 30 degree angle!

My EG is for low wind days only - still good fun though!

• 6 months later...
Maiden'd mine today. Because I had to enable Flaperon Mixing to get both ailerons working, I lose 40% of the throws. So even on the inner/outer that Peter suggests, I'm getting about 10mm MAX. 

Wind was a bit off on my local slope, gusting to 30mph and a bit lively in the landing area.I chucked it anyway  . Possibly a bit windy for it, but had a lot of fun, seems to fly really smoothly and responds well to smooth control inputs. That's me out then!

Was a bit hard to turn, mixed in some rudder using "manual computer" but I think I'll go with Andy's suggest and use the free mix on the 6EX.

My question is "do I need spoilerons", i had no trouble landing it (although it was into said 30mph wind". I would like some roll authority as what I have now means it won't really roll at all. My solution was Y-Lead and disable Flaperon.

Advice would be appreciated. It's windy out there and I want to go back

Alex,
I fly mine with an Optic 6 and initially had difficulty with the throws. I'm using HS55 servos in the wings and found that the supplied 'long' arms weren't really long enough to give me sufficient aileron movement on the recommended 2nd from end hole on the aileron horn, so mine are connected to the 3rd from end hole.
I have also offset the servo horn one cog towards the leading edge, thus offsetting the neutral point on the servo. This, coupled with some programming, gives me the 20mm up aileron. The down aileron is very, very draggy so reduce that to about 8mm. This should improve the roll considerably. This should also help with giving you sufficient movement to activate the spoilerons - I set them about 10mm up, with about 3mm down elevator - and they certainly work well whilst retaining roll authority.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Mine is the RR and the servos are already glued in. I like your idea of moving the arm towards the L/E but I don't see any way I'm going to be able to get to the screw to move the arm without hacking foam.

I'm using the same hole as you. Any lower and the control rods bend. I've done some "manual" testing by taking them off the servo and working the control services by hand. They're as free as they can be.

When I disabled flaperon, I get 20mm on channel 1 (just) and I'll just need to knock back the EPA on the down aileron once I get a Y Lead.

I'd prefer to have the spoilerons (I have them on my blizzard) but with this TX it's just never going to give me enough aileron thro.

I might just need to buy a new TX

Good luck for tomorrow, Alex. I don't know how well the RR servos are glued but I was able to cut mine out a couple of times when setting it up() - just a dab of hot glue on the mounts at each end secures them.

Pete

Pete, good to know. However, one of mine was loose, so I glued it in even harder ! Ah well let's see how we get on. If it really floats so much it makes it hard to land, I'll go with Plan B. And that's likely to involve a) foam cutting or b) new TX

Well I managed to slope off this evening. 9 mph on my local slope which isn't very big. And slightly off south as well. If I'd chucked the Wildthing, 30 seconds later I'd be fetching it from 50m below me.

Chucked EG, it went really well. Never came close to landing it out, although it was still quite scratchy. Unfortunately I didn't  have quite enough nose weight on it, and had forgotten to bring any more. So  I stuck a nurtragrain in there but I'm not sure it helped. Especially after the nose weight fell off!

Then my daughter ate the NG, so we were left with very light lift and a tail heavy glider. Still had lots of fun for 30 minutes as the sun set. It is definitely a floater tho, three times I thought I was going to land it right by my feet, three times it just floated back off the slope again.

At least the ailerons work now!

Oh Alex, what sort of a father are you? Haven't you explained to her just how crucial C of G is to everyday life - and particularly aeroplanes? Until she knows what C of G means, you can't send her up a tree to recover any wayward model, can you?
Anyway, glad you remembered to feed her, at whatever price!
Lovely sunny evening here tonight. I was using the EG to avoid having to take Dotty the Dalmatian for a walk - every time I do a low pass she chases it all the way across the field. Gets far more exercise than I could give her........Mind you, I have to shout a bit when I land it!
Sounds as if you have sorted the ailerons - and don't rule out the spoilerons, if you can. Very satisfying when you can drop the model in front of you
Pete

Hi Alex and glad you like the EG.

I don't know if I would have diven the crucial NG to my daughter though.

I tend to leave the CofG alone as it seems a shame to upset a well balanced machine.

In blustier conditions (9mph is blusty for an EG), I just give it some down trim and it penetrates fine.

About time you set it up on your six channel as spoilerons make landings far more predictable.

Talking of Buzzards, I took mine out on Friday with 35 mph on the edge.

Have now clocked over ten hours with it, but only about two since I covered the wing with CW tape and Poofilm.

This little beast just sliced up the sky with no ballast or CofG adjustment needed - just that bit of down trim - and soared up nearly out of sight.

Being heavier it is definitely even faster yet will still fly in 10mph with flaps down.

I never cease to be amazed by its performance - fancy giving it a go against some of those expensive mouldy F3F things.

Finished the Fusion today and waiting to maiden.

How do you feel about a bit of combat?

Edited By Peter White on 02/05/2009 22:50:35

• 3 weeks later...
I've flown mine twice again this week. Once in light-ish winds (that my WT would fly in) and tonight in a breeze with some late afternoon thermal. I also chucked it yesterday in a gusty mess of off slope wind that was much fun with the WT, but no fun AT ALL with the EG.

It really is about tools for the job. Tonight I had 45 minutes of stooging around, searching for lift, going to slope side landings within 10 feet of me and just having an ace time. Nothing else I have would fly in that. But with a bit more wind, it can really zoom around, like an ickle, safe blizzard. Ish.

Really pleased with it now. Going to fly it a lot more to get myself sorted with proper shaped gliders before going back to the blizz. 

Couldn't get to the field for power today as too much to do, but it's ace to be able to go fly in shove-all wind without any aids but a bit of slope and some rising air