VQ Messerschmitt BF 109

• 2 years later...
Advert

Thought I would pitch in also,I have noted that there is little in the way of information about these models in the web e.g. how to set up the retracts.

I have finally unboxed my BF109 and started the build,
here is a pic of the wings with retracts. I set up the retracts and ensured the mechanism functioned properly by just using masking tape to hold the wings together.
I did the left wing first as this holds the retract servo, and ensured that one side was working, then proceeded with the RHS.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

08082012198.jpg

finally got it finished. I did'nt use the pilot that came with the kit though. the spinner didn't match the cowl very well so i painted as per some pics ifound on the web. this bares the scheme of JG54, lt Steindl.

Edited By Derek Bradford on 18/08/2012 23:09:47

Edited By Derek Bradford on 18/08/2012 23:10:41

Edited By Derek Bradford on 18/08/2012 23:11:42

cheers, bbc, i have since cut a much larger hole in the cowl, but thanks for your advice, i'll add a gap at the rear of the cowl smiley

I will be wiring up an additional battery for the retracts - as per Pete Lowe's RCME TV video!!!

Derek.

Edited By Derek Bradford on 19/08/2012 23:23:44

Edited By Derek Bradford on 19/08/2012 23:39:39

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I just finished building a VQ Hurricane, what a fantastic plane for the price, just £89 and free postage from that nice Hobbystores. It was so good and I enjoyed building it so much that I decided to order another for my Christmas present. Which one though? well I always liked the Mustang P51 but then again I wanted to build a Mitsubishi Zero. At just £99 and free delivery I decided that I'd been a good boy and ordered both.

I found some electric retracts on ebay for around £20. No expensive retract servo and no fiddling with set up they work absolutely fantastic. Check out my VQ Hurricane thread.

Federico, great to see it finished, looks great.

Derek, Also a great looking plane, well done. Has it flown yet? My hurricane is waiting for a new flight box battery to start the engine so I can run it in. Then its waiting for the weather to get better. I think I'll be looking into this extra battery to drive the retracts, sounds interesting and a good way to add any needed ballast. UM

Hi UM,

My 109 hasn't flown yet, might be some months yet as with studying 2 OU courses and a baby on the way, I think I might not be "allowed" out to the patch as often!!!smiley I aim to turn my tiger trainer into a tail dragger, to get some TG flying experience before committing the 109 to the skies!!

I like your idea of the electric retracts, I found the machanical one's a bit fiddly to install, (although i am not an experience builder by any means) . Looks like your building an excellent war bird collection in your hanger, I'll check out your hurricane thread

happy flying!! & Merry Xmas!!

Derek

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Duncan, sorry mines a Kyosho and I think its about 120mm narower than the VQ and CoG is 85mm back from the leading edge on mine. Maybe you can search on the forum and use the Cog finder thats mentioned in 1 or 2 of the threads. Good luck Umm

Hey Derek, congrats with the baby any news on that yet as its been some days since I was last on this thread? I suppose you'll be really busy once he/she arrives. Good luck UMM

Hi UMM

Thanks for the info, I have tried a couple of Cog finders and got different measurements each time. Advice from warbird fliers in the club is to start at 25% of the wing chord and adjust from there. I have also got the ailerons / elevator on dual rates so should not be twitchy for trimming.

Will let you know when I have flown it.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan, I have one and have the manual here. C of G is 88 - 92 mm back from the leading edge at the root and the throws are Rudder 35 mm each way Aileron 6mm up and down and Elevator 10mm up and down.

I have mine balanced at 90 mm back.

I have fitted electric retracts and sprung oleo's to mine . Its a great flyer a real pussycat and cruses nicely at half throttle powered by an SC 70 fs.

I would post some pics but its a proper work up on this forum for some reason ? You tube footage of my retract mods at    Fly4FunFun2Fly

Hope this helps J

Edited By Justin K on 24/02/2013 11:17:25