Prangster 3D

Hi all,

well my wife has bought me a prangster 3D for christmas and it will be used as a training plane, I had to check everything was there as my wife doesent know what a servo is, so i checked everything and had a look at my prezzi before xmas. Well I have a few questions I have been given the standard and 3d tailplane as recommended by the seller and desiger Rob, I will use the standard to learn on. Well I noticed that the material (correx i think) on the wing is cut on one side for a hinge will this not cause air to go in one side and affect the flight path?, also noticed the hinge was very stiff, will I have to bend this back and forth to get a bit of ease of movement?.

I know about the springy undercarriage and was reasured that this would be best to learn on. Also the seller said he would give me a stronger one which he forgot but there is no problems there as he was very helpfull and gave me quite a few freebies and I will definatley be going back there for more things and 2nd plane. However is the undercarrige a real problem or can it be over come with gained experience?.

I have also read that the wheels are better to be 3 inch opposed to the standard size, but they seem of a good size to me and the club that im joining seems to keep thier field well cut. There have also been a few more things I have read about useing stronger dowles?, is this sort of thing essential or suck it and see and learn from your own experiences. I have noticed people giving advice about the Prangster about things not fitting and new ways of doing things but after I read the manual myself I realised that they never read the manual lol!.

Any feedback would be great, much appreciated.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
Advert

Hi Craig,

I have a prangster (not the 3d)  which I use for a fun flyer.  It's got the stock undercarriage and stock dowels.  The undercarriage is a little springy which makes landing it a unique experience.  A cable tie around it seems to help.  The dowels are fine as they are.

I find that the plane can lose trim since it's fairley bendy, which means that you have to be prepared for it to behave differently from one take off to the next.

That said, it is totally forgiving of the hardest crashes (head on into the field only broke a prop)  In my mind it makes a perfect trainer, because it allows you to learn approaches, takeoffs landing level, flying upside down, etc, knowing that you'll avoid most of the rebuild you would normally have to do if you judged something wrongly with a balsa plane.  Upside down is a prime example.  As I read somewhere else once;  Down is up and up is expensive

I'm not sure what you mean about the hinges. My experience tells me that they should be very well attached to the wing but flexible enough for the servo to move them easily.  Best get someone to check it before flying it.

One thing I did do was not use Z bends in the wires for the control surfaces.  I uses the adjustable clevis links, owing to the need to retrim easily.

All in all it's a great plane and lots of fun whilst in the air.

Hope this helps,

Paul.