The new Short Sunderland from Tony Nijhuis

martyn sharp

Hi Tony. I have always fancied a Sunderland for PSS flying and intend converting your plan for what I believe will be a fine model. Look out for some photos of it in the air off the coastline of the Lleyn Peninsula and  Llandudno next year.

Alan.

Having flown back to the U.K., from both Singapore and Khartoum in a B.O.A.C. Sunderland, I have a love for the plane. A kit will be a fitting reminder of flights sixty years ago. The sight of a Flying boat landing against the sunset on the White Nile at Gorden’s Tree, Khartoum is a fond memory. Not all takeoffs were straight forward then; at Marseille, in France,  the pilot saw a big wave on the take off run, had to abort, go around again to make a successful take off.                   

Ian.

MATE, If you find an old copper tea pot, rub it vigoursly, if a geenie rises out in a cloud of smoke, thunder and lighting, don't be concerned, it's only Tony N, granting you three wishes, but you must leave one for me. I have been trying to convince , "the Master",  for 2yrs, to "draw up a Westland Whirlwind". Perhaps because there is not enough water in the teapot, BUT never, never give up hope, one day, we will find that teapot full. 49 yrs building model aircraft as of today, and my first kit at 11yrs old was a 2 shilling glider.... Barry

I could send a bottle of good Canadian Rye but that would not really stand up to a good Single Malt! Maybe if he comes to Toronto I could put him up and take him to see the only authentic Halifax that is in our airforce museum about a hour from here.

Jack. 

Sorry Prof, there is a Halifax in Elvington air museum Nr York http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.co.uk/collections/aircraft/wwII_aircraft_info.asp?id=11

She really is a beauty and I have no doubt that Tony, like many other enthusiasts has been for a look.

I used to print the magazine for that museum and I rember there was a bit of upset over which remaining halifax is more origional. Who flipping well cares! They're both being kept preserved and that makes me happy.

- John 

Good morning John and all, I was aware of the Halifax's in England. Below is an excerpt from the comments at the museum regarding "our" Halifax. I guess "technically correct" is the phrase I was after. Here is a link to the musuem and they have a nice picture of the Halifax up front. It might entice Tony eh!

http://www.airforcemuseum.ca/

After the Second World War all of the remaining Halifax aircraft  were scrapped. Today, from a total of over 6000 which were built, only three remain, two of which are in England:  the first a composite rebuild which incorporates parts from other Halifaxes and another type of aircraft, the second preserved as a crashed aircraft, and now NA337 which  is the only  technically correct Mark 7 aircraft in the world. The majority of the restoration work on NA 337 was done by a highly skilled force of volunteers, including many veterans.