Another New Member

Geoff Goodwin

G'morning all, well it is as I write, being something of an Owl rather than a Lark!

Not so much a  newbie as an new old timer.

I padded out my profile with some background so those in the know might even be able to guess my age or near to it.

After more than a few years out of the this area of aviation I have a decided to get back into it so hopefully my Son will take an interest. You can have a laugh when I say I have kicked off by getting a small 3D electric helicopter. Truth is I have been through about ten charges on this and now happy with a hover in the Dining Room so it's off to the some-where with some space to expand the envelope. I learnt long ago that careful setting up and adustment takes the hard work out of flying and my first few sessions with the Helicopter were dedicated to adjustments until it could take off and hold a hover with my eletronic trims all on Zero and just a nudge here and there on the stick to hold it in the limited airspace. 

I have also bought a 2m electric powered glider with full house functions. I hope to see how the lad gets on with it once I have it set up. This model is for me, but if he can keep it in the air and takes an interest, I will get another 3 channel one for him to learn on properly  before progressing to non-gliders. Because this re-start of my hobby is going to be mainly electric I have decide to go for 2.4Ghz gear but not used it yet! I will use the trainer lead to link the 35Mhz I am currently using to the 2.4Ghz Tx. All futaba square pin, so no problems anticipated.

It seems there is simply mass's of information to take on in the electric power field and I look forward to getting a fuller understanding though the forums and clubs.

I have my enquiries out with the local clubs and should be doing the rounds when the conditions are right to see which I would like fly with (if they will have me of course!).

That's about it for now - time to hit the sack. 

Advert

Guten Morgen ... Welcome to our humble site. Someone can pretty much answer any question here i think. One that nobody can answer is "how do i get my son interested". Ive been trying to interest my step son into our hobby and all works well until the basic tasks like cleaning the model down are involved! Congratulations on not decapitating your wife with the rotor ... I might buy one and get it wrong one day soon! More seriously, i fly fixed wing (ic) but have been seriously considering going electric. The people on this site have been very helpful. I am still far from convinced, but the information i ask for always comes forward from someone or other. That is the great thing about this site, so welcome. Ask questions or answer one, the bottom line is you are never on your own! Regards, John

Hi there Geoff - and welcome to “The Friendly Forum”  - the very vast majority of flyers do return to the fold eventually! Things have moved on considerably of course, especially so with electric flight, and there are lots of threads in the forum on the subject.

If you have not already done so, could I ask you to have a read of these few guidelines we have listed to help you with using the forum. …. read the “pinned stickies” which are shown with a red “pin”.

I know you have past experience but here’s a few other links which may be helpful.

Perhaps this in particular may help

And this.

For a list of clubs in your area try this…. http://www.bmfa.org/clubs/index.html

Once again, welcome on board and have fun!  Timbo.

• 2 weeks later...

Garry,

Nope by comparison I'm the sping chicken! You were in your teens when I made my first appearance. What you don't know is I have been flying models for almost as long as I can remember.

I don't think I was even in my teens even when I built ,my first valve radio from a kit - I still remember the 135V DC shock or two I got fiddling with it live! - I recall it seemed to have a bit more kick than 240V AC. Perhaps it was not the 135V from the two 67.5V batteries (in series) but some part of the circuit amplified for the valve. I certainly didn't understand how it worked, just how it was supposed to go together. The receiver kit was one step up from its valve predecessor as it had a transistor(s) instead.

I will be starting to ask a few questions shortly - like "who was the bright spark that decided a Red diode on a futaba 7C transmitter was a good idea to show it was switched on!" - I spent ages trawling through the manual trying to find if it was indicating a fault!

Cheers

Geoff