Polyfilla is a convert!

You missed a great afternoon today guys...flew all sorts of stuff in the excellent 45 MPH ridge wind and nice lift .

5 of us turned up in the afternoon because the weather man got it wrong today - supposed to be raining heavy all day, but at noon, it dried up, turned to blue skies and sunshine - the Hawk went nicely, as did all the other stuff.

I fear however thats the last of it for this week....still I suppose I shall to be content with only 4 days this week

Advert

Hi Polifilla

You're probable had all the building tips already for the WT one thing you must do with EPP foam is used spray mount glue on the foam before adding the CW tape. With out it the tape come loose with time and the plane looks like its covered with a plastic bag. Also don,t forget to lightly sand the back of the CW tape to remove the release agent before adding the top colour tape.

You will love the WT but after a wile you will want the next step up the Fusion....

Sorry Timbo your right for a beginner the WT is the one but there so indestructible why not get the one you will want to keep....

Hi Phil

I used M3 permanent spray mount from staples one can should do two WT.

If you want to go for that perfect finish before you spray the foam get some Polyfilla One -Fill from B&Q. Very light weight filler. When you pick it up you will think the pot is empty. Two coats of the stuff all over the plane just like icing a cake, leave over night in a warm room, sanded back just to the foam fills all the holes and gives a really smooth finish.

Then spay and tape.

Post some pics when your done.

I agree with Lee...never used any adhesive at all on the WT.  However the slipstream of mine does need it and it is in the instructions to do so, as this is a different type of EPP - where I forgot to use it, it does show by being loose...I shall certainly use it when I re-cover it. The instructions recommend UHU spray adhesive. 

Also, I never sanded the CW tape before covering with the parcel tape either, and my WT is now almost 3 years old, has been used on every session at the orme and still looks like new. No sagging of the tape whatsoever.

Steve...you fuss too much

Timbo

Only talking from experience Alan came to our club April 07 gave a talk and 10 of us brought his kits built them to his instructions.....had lots of fun bashing and crashing....we were all new to sloping.

I've built more since and the filler and spray glue ideas came from USA forums. Took me a while to fined UK equivalent products, they call is sparkle and M77 glue.

I've used these techniques and all I can say it the finish is lovely and non of the tape has come loose. As with sloping I've been caught in the rain a few times and this has not effected the finish either.

Just suggesting some tried and tested ideas.

But as it is a combat machine after the first flight the finish will never be perfect so you're probably right.....

I fuss to much.

Hi Stephen - which club is that then?

I think what you are referring to on the yankee sites is what they call "SPACKLE" not sparkle - and yes it is just the superlightweight polyfilla stuff you mentioned. I have used it and its really a replacement for the old microballon +glue we used to use

He sure can

I built this last year flew is for about two months. nice but just didn't have the pace for a jet so I sold it.

I think it was an end of line product 

Stuck with the WT for a bit longer....Ah back on subject...

I have encouraged a new club member, who only past his A last month to buy the Fusion and he is loving it but it may take a bit of time to perfect the landings