Spektrum and metal coverings

John Wheater

Has anyone any experience of using Spektrum 2.4 Gig with an airframe that is covered in Profilm/Oracover chrome film?

Is there actually any metal in the covering?

Has anyone used Spektrum with an airframe that is  clad in real metal? i.e. the alloy sheets used by some of the jet jockeys?

Thanks if you can help. Thanks for thinking about it if you can't.

Advert

I wouldnt risk it if encased in real metal - Spektrum do say that their Rx are OK in carbon fibre, but I wouldnt risk that either !

Is there no way you could arrange for the little aerial wires to protude through the fus?

My Alfa sabre is "mettalic" paint covered, and is absolutely fine. I guess with the oracover stuff your best bet would be to try it on a rabge test and see how it behaves. I have succesfully shown that the AR6100E can actually still work when enclosed within an open bottomed tin can ! 

Thanks Timbo. Good on yer. I had thought about having
http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/25912/Wing_003_A.jpg

the wires protruding through the fuzz but it wouldn't help if they were shielded by the bulk of it. e.g. they come out of the underside so the Tx can't 'see' them in a banked turn. I wouldn't trust a ground 'rabge' (sorry) test as there is one hell of an investment in this particular model. I would have to try something cheaper first with a full flight test! It might be interesting to put your Rx inside the tin can, close the end and fly it by attaching it to the underside of a hack with all the wires going up into the fuselage. Here's a pic of half of the wing covered to give you some idea of my investment.

Hmm, yes I see what you mean. Of course, with ANY aerial system there will be occasional blanking of the aerial in certain model attitudes. For best peace of mind, why not consider the newer Spekky Rx ( the AR9000 I think ) which allows plugging in of up to 4 satellite receivers. These could be maybe discreetly positioned around the model in order to ensure a clean signal at all angles? Not the cheapest, but as you say, you have a lot invested in this model!

/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/SPMAR9100.jpg

OK, I give in. It's a Dart Dakota. The world's first turboprop airliner. BEA ran two as test beds for the Dart prior to its fitment to the Viscount. You got there Dusty. There isn't a lot of downthrust Eric, must be a trick of the lens as you say. It is to be powered by two Hyperion motors of course, can't have turboprops growling with glow engines can we? Incidentally, Basler Inc. in the States is still converting Daks to turboprop.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/25912/Dart_Dak_rc.jpg

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/25912/IMG_0066_a.jpg

An old photo. Covering is now at an advanced stage. It uses the Topflite kit as a base of course.While we are on firsts, what was the world's first pure jet airliner? AND don't go looking it up!

Hows that for aeroplane RECCE?

I think the South African Airforce were some of the first guys to convert DC-3/Daks from oil chuckers to PW PT-6 type turbines, first I have seen with screamers (darts on them)... fine looking model.

1st pure jet airliner?? of the top of my hat, DHC Comet? jet=turbofan in those days? single by-pass noisy,Jet A1 guzzing smoke pourers,cant beat the smell of aeroplane!

I have tried a rough & ready test on silver coloured Oracover and Solarfilm with a multimeter and it does not seem to conduct electricity, so it would appear that the silver effect is a non-metallic pigment. I was once given 10 metres of silver Oracover and I used it a lot, so I needed to know. 

As far as carbon fibre is concerned, apparently there are 2 different types of carbon fibre, one conducts electricity the other doesn't, but I am not an expert and this probably needs clarifying by a person who knows what they are talking about!

A metalic film may not be as obvious a conductor as it maybe thought to be. My glazing in the window panels has a metalic film built in, which is not really detectable. This DID block signals to and from my 1300MHz  Amateur radio system. The system worked fine through plain glass. I would do a practical experiment before going all the way.

flytilbroke wrote (see)
Get suitable small cardboard box and cover with your metalic film, fit RX and servo/s inside. Thin Wood pushrods through box will show what works. Even get an assistant to help with range check.

Already done that one FTB ! - heres a link which you may find useful - long thread but worth it

( I am biased of course ) PS if you want to just see the video of the shielding tests heres a direct link.

You need sound also to know what I am actually doing. Other similar test videos are on the main thread above.

• 5 months later...
Good grief, was that November when last you applied a sensible answer to my query Timbo?
I thought that the only thing to do was build a test bed and cover it completely in ProFilm 'chrome' so in March I found a free plan of an RCM&E 60" slope soarer from way back, converted it for an electric motor and flew it without a glitch. I didn't cut back the surface as I did on the Dak so it reflected the sunlight rather well!

I had no more excuses the Dak would have to fly and fly it did, most successfully in a howling gale on Sunday 26th April at Barkston Heath. You can witness it on YouTube at