AcroLift - Anyone Got One?

Advert

Not flown one or owned one ..but looks a nice model from what I have seen. If it comes out at typical AUW then expect around 4lb, so for good performance aim for around 150 Watts per Lb therefore around 600 watts.

If going the Lipo route, then at 600 watts you really need at least 4 cells to keep the current manageable and on 4s 600 watts will pull around 42A, so theres a starting point. I would go for quite a large prop to keep the thrust and climb rate up, so around 13" x 10" maybe? This puts you in the lowish Kv range ....possibly 600 - 800?

This IMO would fit the bill a treat, and at a shade under £30 is excellent VFM for a 1kW + motor. You should get an ESC rated for around 60 /70A to give a safety margin, and this combo would then allow even higher power by using a 5s pack for truely ballistic performance. On 4 or 5s you might want to consider a seperate UBEC, or at least ensure the ESC you choose uses a switching BEC happy on 20v +

Equivalent motors are avialble form the likes of BRC and Giant cod etc....just stay around the figures I suggested on the Amps and Kv.

Thanks for advice Timbo.

I have a couple of Zippy-R 4S 2500 packs I'd like to put to good use. I also have two possible motors, originally bought for other projects but the Acrolift has now jumped the queue, as sometimes happens. They are both Turnigy outrunners.

One is a C3548 described as an AXi 2826 equivalent. Spec: 800Kv, current 55A/60 secs, suggested ESC 60A, suggested prop 11X6, voltage 2 - 5S Li-po, weight 163g, shaft dia 4mm.

The other motor is much bigger at 283 grams and is a C4260. Spec: 500Kv, power 900W, max load 50A, 3 - 7S Li-po, shaft dia 5mm, suggested prop 13X10 to 20X10.

I fancy using the latter, weight and space permitting. Any experience with these?

Alas, the C4260 is physically too big. I have my doubts the C3548 will give me the performance thrill I'm looking for. Looks like I'll have to spend some of my winter fuel allowance on another motor - don't tell Broon! Am I seeing things, but is the Wasp range of motors (BRC Hobbies) the same as Turnigy? Most of the specs, reference numbers and appearances are identical.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought you would appreciate an update on the motor situation for my Acrolift. I was just on the point of buying a rather expensive UK sourced motor when I came across the Turnigy AerodriveXp Series 35-48 900Kv with one arriving on my doorstep yesterday, only 8 days after it was ordered. The dimensions, 35mm dia X 48mm long fit the Acrolift perfectly and weighs in at a mere 6oz. Described as an 840 watt motor, I can confirm that bench tests, with an 11X8 folder, delivered 640 watts which is more than adequate for my purpose i.e. that will give me approximately 204 watts/lb!!! After bench running for a couple of minutes, the motor was only warm to the touch. I have no doubt it will deliver 840 watts with a bigger prop.

I’m currently running the setup on Zippy-R 2500 4S 21C Lipos. The maximum amp draw is 52 which makes me think I should consider upping capacity or cell count. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

At £28.43 delivered, I consider this motor superb value. I’ll report back when the model flies but don’t expect that to happen much before Spring now.