Lithium pack balance plugs - how they work

Tim Mackey

Despite the differing balance plug types and wire colouring etc out there, all the systems work on the same basic principle - each cell being "tapped" at the point it connects to the next cell along the battery. This allows the balancer ( and indeed some chargers to actually charge seperately each cell ) to "see" the individual cell voltages, and adjust as necessary to equalize them. When you have several packs all requiring charging, many people wonder whether to charge them in series or parallel ( depending of course on your charger's ability ) and the simple answer is parallel is best . Parallel charging using the system I illustarate on the thread below means considerably faster balance charging than trying to do the same packs in series, as there is much less balancing work for the charger to handle + the job gets done better too! ... So parallel charge is best - providing the following applies.

1) All the packs are of the same voltage ( capacity is not important ) IE: 3s / 4s /etc

2) All packs have the same style balance plug

3) All packs are at the same or near voltage to each other.

This topic has been covered before, as has the whole balance plug configuration thing, and a seperate thread has sprung up over here. This has a few crude diagrams and explanations which may help some folk to understand the principles involved better, so if you thirst for more...... take a look.

• 1 year later...
Advert

Timbo
The "over here " link does not seem to work, is it my computer or a problem with the link?
I am curious to find out how the charging mechanism works especially the equalizing part.
If there are any circuit diagrams I would be interested in looking at them. I am sorry I posted the request to Ed on his excellent propeller thread.
Barry