Petrol Engine Ignition cut

Snorbitz

I've been asked by a friend who has just bought a petrol engine for his plane if there is some way he can cut the ignition to his engine from the transmitter rather than having to do it from a switch on the model itself. He has suggested a mechanical switch close to the throttle servo but i would think an electronic alternative would be better. I just wondered if anyone had done this before and could give me a few pointers i could pass on.

Cheers

Advert

I've flown petrol for a long time and personally never bothered with this facility. It is however becoming more common and there are many opto-isolated systems, i.e. no electrical connection between ignition and radio, which by utilising a spare channel allow you to switch your ignition on and off from your T/X. Another means of stopping your motor mid flight should your throttle servo fail (which is usually peoples main worry) is to employ a servo on choke so that if needed the choke can be applied and the motor stopped by flooding it .