Eze -fan

Marcus

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Just a quick question - looking forward to building this model.

I sometimes build parts (tailfins for my helicopter) by glueing thin laminates together with cyano. This makes a very stiff section, without the weak joins that you get when you simply but the ends together (e.g. wing section in the EZEfan). Effectively, it's very lightweight ply, but with the grain directions arranged more carefully.

This has a small weight penalty, but it's not more than a few grams and I like the stiff sections. Is there any good reason _not_ to do this?

One concern is that if you get any moisture, the wing may warp more if the surface layer is laid in a different direction to the deep layer.

K

Just a reply to my own post. I bought the balsa; built the plane (almost) according to the plans. And I'm impressed how stiff the construction is. Just need to get me some solarfilm and the electrics now.

But another question... Does anyone add any ventilation for the battery?

K

• 2 weeks later...

I found that the fuselage did not give much scope for creating airflow around the battery.  There is not much room for my Hyperion 1800mah in that confined space. 

I was more concerned to keep a good airflow over the ESC as I chose to put that into the fuselage as well.  I therefore cut a slot into the bottom, alongside the skid, with a plastic spoon to create an air scoop.  The outlet was created by putting a hole at the back of the fuselage pod. on the EDF unit's centre line.  I reasoned that the fan would create a low pressure zone that would assist the air flow.  (It also gave me a hole to tighten the fan screw if it ever came loose!)

The model is an absolute rocket and experience has been limited, so far, by shakey knees.  It does slow down nicely though and is a good glider, despite the fan.

• 2 years later...