Buying on line

Pete D

I have been thinking about buying some radio gear and when I received my January RCM&E I noticed in particular at Slough Radio Control Models were offering, as a new item, a Futaba FF7-2.4 GHz version including an R 617FS Rx plus 4 high torque S3152 digital servos for the reasonable sum of £214.99.  I was immediately attracted and wanted to buy one.

On going on to the Slough web site though the price for the above was given as £314.99 a whole £100 more expensive.   I thought this was a simple error but noticed that other Futaba sets such as the 35MHz FF7also had a not inconciderable price hike on the site when compared to the Magazine ad,

Have other readers found this problem with other advertisers or is this a one off mistake.  Please let me know.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year to all.   Pete Davis.

Advert

I went to Slough Radio Control Models a couple of weeks ago knowing they had a Spektrum AR500 Rx in stock. Now in their magazine adverts it says they will match any nationally advertised price. When i got there they refused to match robotbirds price (about £6-7 cheaper) as apparently they are "not a proper shop" Surely robotbirds website constitutes global advertising is it not?! Anyway as id travelled some distance i bit the bullet, i should have walked out on principal. So it seems there ad is there to lure you in. I certainly wont be using them again thats for sure. I remember an old saying somewhere along the lines of "if you receive good service you keep it to yourself, but if its sloppy you cant help but moan about it" Cant be good for business im sure.

It seems that many manufacturers are using the weak pound to hike up their prices. Horizon Hobby have upped some of their ARTF kits by up to 50% and it looks like Futaba are following suit.

If you are quick you can still get the FF7 at the old PRICE after that who knows, maybe they will stop importing them due to poor sales.

Thanks guys for your helpful comments.  I went to the Galaxy site and their price for an FF7 seemed to be about 1/2 way between the old and new price.  Thanks especially to Rob Crewe for the timely warning on the coming price hikes. 

I spoke to Slough today and they confirmed the web price, blaming manufacturers who in turn blame the poung.  However, I phoned 'tjd models' who also confirmed the increases but when I told them what I wanted they had at least one at the old price which I grabbed with both teeth.  They were also able to help my particular situation by removing the VAT at scource as I live in Jersey outside the EEC or whatever they call it nowdays.  At least that just about covered shipping costs which is a devil we have to live with here.

My discussions with said traders highlighted a problem which they have which is of little consequence when currency is stable.  It seems that to meet the obviously necessary publishing deadlines adverts are formatted about 10 weeks before publication which was the root cause of my origenal complaint.

So, as warned by Mons. Crew watch out for some hefty price hikes.  It would seem that good kit instructions may not be trhe only good reason to buy british in future.

As we say in the deep south, Auve les miyeu' souhaits pour noue, et la Nouvelle Annee.  Sorry about the missing accents just cant find them on this Chinese computer with American programs.

Thanks guys for your helpful comments.  I went to the Galaxy site and their price for an FF7 seemed to be about 1/2 way between the old and new price.  Thanks especially to Rob Crewe for the timely warning on the coming price hikes. 

I spoke to Slough today and they confirmed the web price, blaming manufacturers who in turn blame the pound.  However, I phoned 'tjd models', who also confirmed the increases but when I told them what I wanted they had at least one at the old price which I grabbed with both teeth.  They were also able to help my particular situation by removing the VAT at scource as I live in Jersey outside the EEC or whatever they call it nowdays.  At least that just about covered shipping costs which is a devil we have to live with here.  So I now eagerly await my FF& 2.4GHZ plus all the bits.

My discussions with said traders highlighted a problem which they have which is of little consequence when currency is stable.  It seems that to meet the obviously necessary publishing deadlines adverts are formatted about 10 weeks before publication which was the root cause of my origenal complaint.

So, as warned by Mons. Crew watch out for some hefty price hikes.  It would seem that good kit instructions may not be trhe only good reason to buy British in future.

As we say in the deep south, Auve les miyeu' souhaits pour noue, et la Nouvelle Annee.  Sorry about the missing accents just cant find them on this Chinese computer with American programs.