OS 40 FS

Hamish

Have an old engine that needs a lot of TLC.  Having cleared the exhaust and  the top of the valve from carbon, however consider it would be a good idea to remove the valves and clear away any carbon in the throats.

It there a technique/tool for removing spring and collet or Is it too footery and best left alone?

Advert

Have done many, head of off course, a suitable small socket, a nylon nut, pair of twisers, and good eye sight in the light. Also, a large clean aera, to work on in case you drop one,  Place the nut under the head, on top of valve, place the socket over the collet retainer,hold the socket, tap the socket until you can feel in (collet) loose its grip, Remove the socket and inspect to see if both collets are still in place, if so using your thumbs depress the collet retainer and someone with good eyes/ magnifying glass, remove the collets with the twisers. Reassemble the same way, except , tap the valve head, gently, to make sure that they are in place. Hence the clean floor/ working area, if this extreme, then wash/ dig/brush, out the "goop"  and hope all is well.....................  Barry

Barry

Thanks very much for the information.  Did think this was going to be a footer and your advise concerning a  clean floor/working is well founded as I have an aptitude for flying object of the wrong kind.

Once we have some good daylight I will have another look and see if I will tackle.

Thanks again

A tip I picked up somewhere and have used to good effect is to do the removal inside a large clear polythene bag - that way, if the spring jumps when you release it, you know its in the bag somewhere

John

I chickened out of removing  the valves, however doing the work in a clear poly bag is so obviously the easiest solution.

As indicated, I cleaned the head and top of valves which had a good layer of carbon.  Filled the exhaust port with some Fairy Power Spray and let it sit for a while, cleaned and rebuilt. 

Went out to the garage this morning and first turn of the starter motor and away she went - Absolute Dream.

I have found that I now can get a very slow tick over and have not adjusted the slow running jet, just brought it down on the trim.

What amazes me about these engines is the quality of machining. No gaskets or sealer, just bolt up and away she goes - Magic

Edit 

I will have the valves out as that will complete the service.  Will get some fun first!