Ranger 600 motor replacement

Misterred28

I want to change brushed motor to brushless and seen the brushed to brushless conversion module but was wondering if there was another way to convert …couldn’t I just use a 1s motor and not have to change anything else …the motor is a 8mm and receiver is the v761 4 channel …I don’t care if it’s outrunner or in just would like to put a brushless on it in the future …thank you for any help 

IMG_3436.png

IMG_3430.png

IMG_3425.png

Advert

Before embarking on a project like this, I'd recommend asking yourself the question 'why?'.   The standard Ranger 600 is an excellent little model; with its existing motor, it has good climb performance and, if you fly it as a powered glider in the right conditions, it's easy to achieve long flight times.

My advice would be to spend your money on more lipos.  Then you can spend your time flying the Ranger 600 rather than fixing a problem which, in truth, doesn’t exist.  That way, you'll soon outgrow its capabilities, and you'll be ready to move on to a larger and more capable model....which will almost certainly have a brushless motor fitted as standard.  If you haven’t done so already, get in touch with your local club and seek their advice.

If you really want to do it, you'll already know that the Ranger 600's standard brushed motor is mounted in a foam overwing pod.  To fit a brushless outrunner, you'd need a bigger hole in the pod to allow sufficient clearance and cooling, and a secured mounting plate (probably lightply) fixed to the front.  The existing pod might not be large enough for this; if so, you'd need to make a new one....which is difficult because the existing pod is integral to the fuselage moulding.   The existing 3-in-1 RX/ESC/stabilisation unit won't work with a brushless motor, so you'd need to look at alternatives.  Maybe there's a way of modifying it, but you might well have to look at an entirely new RX and ESC solution....which might also entail a new TX.

The added weight of these modifications is likely to negate most, if not all, of the performance and efficiency gains from 'going brushless'.  Also, it will involve extra expense and time.  IMHO, it's not worth it.

Edited by Simon Burch 1
  • Like 2