Batteries for Maplin bought Sky III model

Just got a Maplin Sky III r/c plane, v novice, good to start with, still in 1 piece!

Batteries don't last long enough in the a/c and i can't find spares anywhere.

Code AP 8105 NiMH 28aaa350nAh p7.2v 

6 cell, green wrapped with red male connector

Can i get an engineer friend to make one for me, what batteries would i need, where do i get them and wire/connectors?

Many thanks

Advert

yes, seems like an idea Eric - I am surprised that maplins do not stock the spare battery packs though.

Andrew, it looks alike a 6 x cell AA pack ( or possibly AAA ) the plug is known as a jst connector. I have plenty of them here, and if you really get stuck, PM me and I will make up a pack for you.

I have given you the place to get em in the post above - they MAY have the jst connectors and wire too...if not PLENTY of other shops will have em. Incidentally, this shop ( component shop ) will make up the packs for you if you tell em exactly what you need.

They do have packs of 2/3 aaa but not quite the shape you need - email em !

Cheers forthe advice, will look at them all.

It does come with a charger, off the car battery, takes 20 mins for 5-10 mins flying time, just want more packs so i don't have to keep waiting.

Mmmmm inexperienced i am. LiPo?? don't know anything about them, why is it dangerous to reccommend them at this early stage, i'm only looking for power? Going to start by buying individual cells and making a pack up,  component-shop has nearly the right thing, but it's 5 cell pack with 6v grrrrr, so close, yet so far...

It would be great to have a higher capacity.

dimensions of my pack are 30mm w x 29mm h x 20mm d and it's a squeeze.

Many thanks again.

Hello Andrew, I have just joined the forum and was directed to your posting because you have the same Maplins Sky III as me. I can't seem to get it off the ground. Does yous take off ok? Mine seems to need a huge amount of space and seems underpowered. Does yours veer to the left on attempting to take off? How do you launch yours and how much space do you use? I hope you don't mind my trying to pick your brains. Thanks, Richard.

hi,

Mine flys well, well it did till i overstressed the airframe in numerous heavy landings and the tailboom snapped! woops, araldite and cocktail sticks i think to repair?

No tarmac near me so i throw it into wind on full power, climbs well, glides well when dead stick and easy to fly, i haven't adjusted the elevator trim either, lucky i guess.

Flys slightly to the right, small bit of blu tac on the left wheel fixed that.

Batteries on order so hopefully flying next week, wind dependant!