Bigger motor for CC Lee Cub 37 inch wingspan.

Advert

Thank you both for your replys,the battery is a 7 cell 8.4v 650mah,is weight the real killer seems too light it just floats around won`t climb, I suppose it is a slow flyer for a still day,a bit more weight, bigger motor,fly a bit faster I thought would be better for light winds up to 5 mph.
I have just noticed there is a lot of downthrust on the motor about 10 degrees ,shouldn`t it be 2 degrees like with glow engines?

I have a CC Lee Piper Cub and have flown it successfully.
After a less than good landing first time out, I had similar problems regarding the model's ability to climb and discovered that I had managed to increase the downthrust. This meant holding in some up elevator to maintain level flight.
It was cured by removing the cowl and packing the motor mounting to reduce the downthrust to about 2 or 3 degrees - certainly much less than the original  and the extra I had introduced and now it climbs reasonably well on the same power supply as Christopher's.  I put the battery as far back as is possible in its compartment and feel this also helps
My only reservation is the nature of the "throttle" - the control is just a switch on top of the Tx giving motor on or off and now for some reason, it doesn't like to switch back on while in flight, but after landing I can reset the arming switch and the motor starts up again giving another few minutes airtime before the BEC cuts in and landing becomes inevitable.
All in all though, I reckon the package was worth the money I paid for it especially as I can have a "twiddle of the sticks" on the local playing field whereas a power model would be unacceptable.

Thank you Malcolm,I measured my downthrust at about 10 degrees on the motor,so I put a plastic disc behind the mount to bring it back to about 4 degrees,I couldn`t get any more as the motor was then tight against the cowling,may have another go sometime and cut the cowling to do it.I shall put the battery back a bit as well .
I never had the one with the radio set,so I put my mini Protech receiver in and used my JR X2610 .
Like you say it was definately worth the money,ideal to leave in the boot of the car ready for some good flying weather.Must get the spare fuselage and wing in case I need one of them sometime.
Regards Chris