Rodent R1/2/3 ?? online ??

Advert

You e mail John Higgins in California. You wait. Wait some more. A bit more and he should get back to you in about 2 1/2 years. Then if you're not ready to spend money there and then you miss your turn.

Sometimes people have had a mail out of the blue after just a few weeks. That's john I'm afraid, but for sure if you want one you need to be in the queue.

The model is supplied as a very basic. pinholed to death fuselage, with beat up blue foam wing cores, a tad of hardwood for the leading edges. A bit of dusty old balsa sheet in the rough shape of a tail and a brief set of instructions.
Needs about 40-50 hours work (minimum), some carbon fibre, lots of plywood, a vac bagging system, shedloads of epoxy and filler, a good deal of elbow grease, paint and a bus load of Lead.

You can't get the R1 or the R2 now.

A pm with your e mail address gets you his in return.

Good luck.

Andy

Over the years since the Rodent appeared in my very first slope column I have literally had a thousand enquiries exactly the same as Baz's. I find it is best to tell the truth.

It took me 2 1/2 years, some considerable chasing, a lot of money and a good deal of luck to get my R1. It was the first (and only one of two R1's) in the UK (the other now lives with my mate round the corner) but since then I have developed a great relationship with John who seems to like the way I write about his toys.
My F-20 is at the painters and almost finished, I picked up a Higgins CA Sloper kit NIB from the states a few weeks ago and I've procured t-38 talons and R3 Rodents from John for friends. When he's talking to people he is quite prolific. When he isn't you're just not gonna get a reply. This puts most people off as in todays society we want everything yesterday. If anybody thinks they can place an order for a Rodent and get one in two weeks like normal retailing, they're gonna be dissappointed.
The thrill of the chase is all part of the game, but the wait can get very extended. Often when Higgins does reply, the sender can't remember what he wanted!
These mails are usually along the lines of "I have this....If you want it, pay me now or it's somebody else's".
The short kits are proper cottage industry and take hours and hours of building, filling and sanding and the use of composites to get them in the air.
Johns models are designed for heavy abuse and extreme conditions and meet that criteria exceptionally well, but if your local slope is pants and you don't like flying over 40mph winds they are simply not what you are looking for.
I really only fly mine off the Orme unless I'm on a road trip around and the Orme is 110miles each way for me! Ocassionally we get a big southerly and I can use a good slope about 40 miles away but Higgins models are just too rad for my local spots which are otherwise pretty good themselves!

I will gladly forward Johns e mail on to anybody who asks. It is already in the public domain on other forums but after that I'm afraid you're on your own.
If you write him - be nice!

Andy

and there i was thinking a simple Paypal click would have one on my doorstep ready for action...
after my dreamflight experience, i assumed all the Californian builders were up for yesterday deliveries, although i have noticed the Weasel team is under construction with the new EVO-SERIES...

after many years of castor oil drenched back seats and the unforgettable smell of methanol burning at mounting revs per minute, i had a dabble in peaceful sloping. The first weapon was a Weasel which is fanatstic as it stays in the car for those 'meeting' days at work when XC is pointing wind in the desired compass heading.

i then procured an eHawk for those windless days at the park, and confidence on the slopes of being able to do low flying without risk of a long retrieval walk.

I am now looking to take the next step with a view of speed enhancement. I had 3 planes in mind, but the Rodent has now been eliminated. (i'm more of a click today, deliver yesterday, fly today enthusiast) The 2 remaining are the Vector 3 and the Jart-Lt.

After reading your review on the Jart, i think its the way to go, but any further advice will be greatly appreciated.

Baz