2 strokes & 4 strokes (again)

Delta Whiskey

I have two spare IC engines now, one OS 52 FS Surpass after crashing my Ultimate BiPlane, and an SC40 which was in a box of spare parts when I brought my latest 2nd hand editions. It was covered in grass and mud, and had a broken prop so had obviously been in a smash.

I fired up the 4 stroke, eventually after getting the needle setting right, and it sounded fine, then moved on to the 2 stroke SC, and I was surprised how much easier it started, and that it was not any louder than the 4S.

I reved it up to approx 3/4 throttle and adjusted the needle value setting until I could hear a constant pitch sound, and then rechecked by reving up and down and it was quite responsive, I guess the 4S was too, but I think the 2S had the edge as I expected.

From my limited experience with any IC model engines, I think I have done well, and am pleased that just watching other members down the club, I've managed to get both so called 'tuned' by listening to them at high er revs,  but is this all I should be doing to get optimal performace out of them?

Advert

I have found 4 strokes need a little bit of extra care.  Had difficulty starting mine the other day, adjust the valve clearances and she now starts on the button,  No adjustments on a 2 stroke.

Hope after you peaked your engine you richened it up a notch?

Its all a matter of personal preference but you cant beat the sound of a 4 stroke.