Building the Sunderland

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

• 1 month later...
Dear All,
Yes, she floats!  Alas the new pond is not big enough to take off from though, but bid enough to prove she floats.  Maybe a bit nose down but good enough.  She flew for the third time the same afternoon, I take off from a dolly after the first flight ripped a float off.  She flies well and lands nicely too.  Power from 4 2200 Loong Max Li Po's, into four speed controllers and onto the motors.

BB

Fred,
No real tips, it flies well.  I've kept it high and fast for the first flights out of sheer nervousness, it was a bit windy too.  On the third flight I managed to get her lower and slower for photos.  I'll experiment getting her even slower next time.  She flies at half throttle and really leaps off the dolly at full throttle.  The drone of the four engines is great though, the other club members have all landed before I took off so that the noise could be heard!

BB

• 3 weeks later...
I crashed mine the other day and it's totally smashed I'm afraid.  It lost power on the climb out and then stalled and went into heavy scrub, the fuselage broke in two with the front reduced to match sticks.  The rear is complete but the wing has broken all spars outside the port engine.  I looked at re-building her but took the easy option and re ordered the ribs and former set.  I'm going to move the battery tray forward another inch to reduce the small amount of lead that I used to balance her.  The servo's can move forward another inch too.  Other than that she'll be the same, one engine feels a bit rough so I'll change for a new one.  After the crash all was checked and found to be working but later I found a broken soldered joint in the power train.  I think one motor failed, I failed to spot it and stalled her.  I had wired her up so that the two inners or two outers were together, to try and stop what eventually happened.  I'll check my soldering this time!

BB

Had mine iin the garden  runing it up and getting the balance Ok, 14 0unce in the nose I could have put in larger batterys but the lead flashing was for free. Fred
Sorry to hear about your crash, It's made me worry abut my maiden

Edited By Fred Keegan on 03/06/2009 18:55:08

Fred,
Fear not, when it flew it flew really well.  I made a dolly and it shot off that.  Mine only had about 6 oz in the nose but I'm building a new one, this time I intend to leave the front turret off until the end.  This way I can insert my receiver battery in the very front together with any balancing lead.

BB

• 2 months later...
Number 2 is as good as ready!  I've built the second one but not yet flown it, there seems to be constant high wind this sumer.  I managed to do away with any lead in the nose this time.  I moved the servos an inch or two towards the nose and also got the batteries another inch further forward.  I left the front turret off but it balances without the need for any weight. I covered this one entirely in film so I didn't need to paint the bulk of the fuselage as it's white. 
I also moved the ESC's into each seperate nacelle, all connections where sealed with heat shrink and hidden away in the wing.  The big advantage over number one is that I don't have a real mess of wiring and ESC's hanging down from the wing that just sat in a jumble in the fuselage. 
I'll add some snaps later but it's very similar to the first.

Have you flown yours Fred?

BB

Hi  bucksboy, not flown the Sunderland yet, made a dolly but it was not very good ( will have to make one like yours ). It's one of those years were all plans seem to go out of the window. Should have been down at the nationals today ( GOT SWINE FLUE  ON TUESDAY ALLONG WITH MY WIFE ) LAST DAY OF TABLETS TODAY THEN  CAN GET OUT FRED

• 4 weeks later...
Fred,
I flew no 2 yesterday, I went to the field but had forgotten the dolly.  Yesterday was a beautiful day, we're not likely to get many more, so I either waited again or flew it off grass.  She leapt off the grass and into the air, she flew beautifully.  I kept the first flight short and trimmed her out, then landed, checked everything and flew again.  She flies at just under half throttle andthe four motors sound great.  Will try and take some video today and post it.

BB

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
sorry to hear about your mk1 ,glad your mk 2 flew well,and thanks for the advice on bouyancy..my (early war camo scheme ) looks very good and my maiden flight from Strangford loch in Northern Ireland were i live ..(and intrestingly were sunderlands used to fly from durring the war) shall take place soon..hope all goes well ..its been a 7 month build!!!

• 3 years later...