Hot brushless motor

JC

Hi all

Ive put a E Flite park 370 4100Kv motor in my Toucan. I,m using a 2s 1300Mh 15c lipo turning a graupner folding 6-3 prop and a 30amp esc. On running the motor to check everthing out, it became too hot to touch after only running for 20 seconds or so on half throttle. Is this normal. I,m afraid I'm still not completely sure about using the correct prop to motor to battery and ESC. All advice welcome.

Regards

Jon

Advert

Your motor is trying to spin that prop at about 32000 RPM at full throttle which is too fast. I think you need a motor a a lower KV. I always aim for about 8-10000 RPM so 2s you need something like a 1200-1500KV motor. However your prop is small so maybe aim for 20000rpm so on 2s you need 2500-3000 KV.

This is a very simplistic view but it works for me.

Edited By Bruce Richards on 22/03/2009 14:34:24

Edited By Bruce Richards on 22/03/2009 14:34:55

Gents

Thanks to you all. It appears that all inrunners seem to be high KV motors is this the case? The aircraft was designed for a brushed 400. So I will modify the nose section to take an out runner with a 1400 KV rating that I have.  Any suggestions for a good WATT meter that wont cost the earth.

Thanks again

Regards
Jon

Just as an after word I changed the prop for a 4'' gunther from my easy star spares and the motor still became very hot. How small a prop is small 370 4100Kv motor designed to swing and what sort of model would it be used on.

Cheers 
Jon

• 4 weeks later...
Timbo

Just a  quick one on the watt meter front. Where does it connect into the power train. On ALs Hobbies online shop it states connect it between the motor and ESC where as I have seen other references that say  to connect it between the BTY and ESC. Are there different types of meter and if so which is the best?

Cheers

Jon