Copeland Model Club Cumbria Slope Soaring Fly-In 23rd May

A similar thread is running in the 'Main Shows & Club Events' section of the site, but isnt getting viewed as much as I'd have hoped for, so I thought I'd post it up here and see what sort of response I get. Theres less than two months to go so im trying to drum up some last minute interest.

Copeland Model Club, based on the west coast of Cumbria, intend to hold a one day slope soaring fly-in on Saturday 23rd of May 2009, the May Bank Holiday weekend. This event occurs the day before the North Lakes Soaring Assosciation, so if people want to make a long weekend of it, feel free to contact me for information regarding local accommodation etc.

The majority of slopes we use are top access, so any disabled pilots should be able to get to the edge. Only St. Bees Head requires a walk, but it's only a stroll from the car park to the flying area.

Ive included a few pictures, some of which you may have seen before.

Andy Ellisons Erwin DS as featured in RCM&E, sat under St. Bees Head

The infamous Workington 'Slag Bank', by-products of the local
steel industry

As I said before, feel free to contact me for local info, just drop me a line at
[email protected].  Alternatively, check out our website.

Advert

Thought I'd include some info on local accommodation and tourism sites, just in case people need it.

This site may be interesting or helpful:

There is a Premier Inn (Whitehaven) less than mile from one of the coastal sites

Howgate
Whitehaven
Cumbria
CA28 6PL

T: 08701 977 268
F: 01946 590106

And also a newly built Travelodge In Cockermouth, a fifteen minute drive from the slopes

Travelodge Cockermouth Hotel

Europe Way
Cockermouth
Cumbria
CA13 0DP

Tel: 0871 984 6358
Fax: 01900 826 522

Both of these are around £55 a night, so wont break the bank.

If people are interested in camping, perhaps the organisers of the North Lakes Slope bash could help.  Try getting in touch with George Bamkin to see where his regulars normally stay.

Feel free to get in touch with me anytime, its what Im here for!

Shaun

• 2 weeks later...
Forgot to mention that we'll need people to bring along proof of insurance, and please get in touch before travelling, or at the least, to check XCWeather the day before to make sure its going to be worth the journey.  Our website is gradually geting updated, but Im pretty busy with work, and building(models and houses), and flying, so it's taking time to get sorted.

Shaun, who is off to fly 3d foamies till dark

• 3 weeks later...
Just been having a look through my models, and have realised how much I have to do before the fly-in. Ive got four models wanting finished, one in need of a quick repair, and thats just me gliders. Ive got the same again to sort out for the power fly-in  

Shaun, who is going to be busy...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, so its here. In 24 hours, I'll be loading the car and setting off to the meeting place. As i type, some of you are already on the road, and some are already here.
It looks like the majority of flying wll take place In the sleepy little town of St.Bees, either on the head itself, or on the much smaller golfcourse slopes. Its going to be interesting watching those 5m scalies trying to land. If you fly on the golfcourse slopes, its sometimes best to land down on the beach, and I think the tide will be in around midday....

15mph forecasted on the head, so it isnt looking too shabby. Ive charged 3 sets of batteries for my camera, so I promise lots of pictures, which should be on these pages on Sunday.

Photos for everyones entertainment. Flying took place on St. Bees head.

Timbo going in for the kill^

Chicken Glider saw some action too

Daves model in the gorse bushes, ouch!

Dave after a long trek through those gorse bushes

Flying chicken mixing it in the combat zone

Thanks for making me look good mate
Must be rain in  me eye or something

Was a good day out and well attended

BIG Thanks for the organizing and More thanks for every one who travelled to attend

Hope you all come next year ( And bring a friend)

You enjoy a good walk through those bushes dont you Ned?

Seriously though, thanks to everyone who attended our first real slope soaring fly-in, last years was a non event, bit like last years summer really.

Hopefully, the slope fly-in in August will have a similar attendance, as we all had a good weekend.

Its been an honour showing people our slopes, and I hope to get the chance to do it for many years to come

Shaun

Only just caught this last few postings Shaun - as you know, I went "sloping" off to Scotland for a week after your event, and had very little web time.
Thanks for a great day, and also for the quick session down at the power site on Sunday morning. - thats a great sert up you have over there....
Cheers again mate, and see you again soon. Timbo and Mrs Timbo.