Best glue for sheeting foam wings

Advert

I always used copydex, but havent done this for a while so there may well be more modern suitable stuff around these days, Im sure you will get loads of answers soon. Even thin epoxy such as laminating epoxy would do, or maybe spray on like 3M 44 or whatever its called. UHU Por do a spray contact adhesive, as do the cheapo supermarkets like Lidl from time to time - I think I saw such an offer very recently in fact.
( everyone else is flying I think - I have just finished a tour of duty in the garden all day )

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 11/04/2009 18:38:09

For what it's worth, I do this sometimes too and prefer to use a really thin coat of laminating epoxy (I get it from a boat chandellery).  I find the difficulty with copydex is that a) it curls the skin backwards and makes it difficult to position, then b) to make matters worse, you only get one go at it as you cannot reposition with copydex.  Plus, when you come to sand the edges you get little balls of rubber where you want to glue the LE and TE on.  Maybe I just don't have the correct knack.

One of the nice things about the epoxy method, other than the ability to reposition, is that you can also laminate a thin layer of glass into the skin/core joint to make a really strong wing - useful for high aspect ratio long thin wings.  I've got an old German F5B model that used this method.  The wings take massive G loads and seem virtually  indistructable.

In his excellent book "Radio Control Foam Modelling", David Thomas demonstrates several methods, but he seems to prefer using the Gudy O film, as Matt suggests.