Black Magic and twin diesel build

Hi Sheldon, thanks for the post and the compliments.

The engine is being made from scratch from plans published by the Model Engine News. the engineering work is being done in Frank's home workshop and some more details should be coming out soon via this build log.

I am glad to hear that you have used this type of servo on bigger models as this is the first time that I have used them this small.

• 3 months later...
Advert

Hi John, very interesting build article and a fine job youre making of it. I am building a Flair kit at the mo, and the thing thats really confusing me is engine installation. Do you build the engine in as you go, as i cant see how else you would do it. I notice youve made what looks like a bearer arrangement , will the engine be removable once complete?
 Cheers Steve  

Hi Steve, thanks for the interest in the blog. If you are building from the kit it will be slightly different from mine as it is from the original plan. The original actually had a knock-off engine plate(!) which I have chosen not to copy.  The older models are normally the same with engine bearers and a separate plate for the engine to mount onto,either made from paxolin or plywood depending on engine capacity.  The norm was to mount the engine and "adjust" (read carve!) the cowling to suit the engine and ensure enough cooling air could get aroung the engine.  I would sugget that you mount the engine upright for ease of access, make the upper part of the cowling removable, probably secured by a couple of screws at the front and sowls at teh back, and make sure that you have access underneath to get at the lower securing nuts.  I often use another removable cover as the lower part of the cowl. I would not recommend using woodscrews to secure the engine, use nuts, bolts and washers.
If the kit uses a modern mount with a ply firewall, just carve the cowling to suit the engine you use, again with enough cooling air around the engine, and glue/screw the cowling into place so that you have access for maintenance and removal if necessary.
Either way, do not glue the cowling in position so that you have to cut it away for access to the engine once it is installed. You only need one bolt to come loose and it would ruin your day!
Hope that helps. If not, let me know.