Aerovan build

Hi all ..

You should give it a go Phil.

I built one when the plan originally came out, but modified the power train. I used a pair of jamara 480s with irvine 400 gearboxes and 9x6 APC-E props. battery was a 10 cell pack of Cp-1700s . Power was excellent ..a real fun plane for little cost.

I was looking over the original plan a few weeks ago and was thinking of doing a brushless version myself, let us know how you get on ...

Glenn

Thanks for that folks I have since found this on Tony's web site and I see he's recomending two 220w motors which seems a little over the top for a 2lb model to me must be a proper pocket rocket with those motors in I regularly fly a 600 gram model with one 130w motor in it so would've thought two would comfortably fly a 1kg/2.2lb er. the idea of a trilander esq version is intriging but what a pile of btys you'd need. I thought may be stick islander style u/c on and may be for fun equip with bomb bay doors for a para drop or something.

• 2 months later...
Phil,
I built one when it first came out, flew beautifully on two 400 can motors, have since revamped it with two BRC 130W combo's, the £12 outfits.  Even with these the power is over the top.
It's a cheap, and simple model to build, but a real pleasure to fly, you'll love it. 

Phil, this was the plane I learnt to fly with and is my all time favourite.

It is stable inverted and lands like a feather. I was a bit rough with it so for the second wing I built I extended the balsa covered section and added a little glass across the middle. I ploughed a few fields with it and it usually came up laughing. 

The only trouble I faced was with brushed motors - the soldered wires at the motor kept breaking off from the vibration. If that ever happens shut the other motor down straight away as you won't be able to fly on one motor. Brushed motors did not have the solder breaking problem and that would be the only way to go. I used two Robbe BL 2827-34, which was a tight fit but okay after a bit of fiddling. It certainly had heaps of go. I also used a 3000 3S because a 2200 ran out of oomph too quickly. 10 NiMH cells 2200 were ok if I had nothing else to use, but a tad heavy and not so sparkling a flight

Without undercarriage it takes off from the snow and landing is a hoot.  With a firm push it will do the same off wet grass . Hope you have as much fun as I did with it.

Edited By Stevefromoz on 04/08/2009 16:04:55

• 2 years later...

Anyone used 6mm depron to build this yet..... Its my material of choice at the moment, having just about finished my version of "the twins" from RC Groups free download...... I built aerovan when it was first published and still have the Fuz in the loft, but as i said depron for me this time, and another 2 emax motors , which will be more than powerful enough