4 engine multi - wiring

I have just completed the Tony Nijhuis A400m 4 engine multi.  I have wired my motors up as effectively two twins One twin is the outboard motors and the other twin is the inboard motors.  
Each motor is a turnigy 250 watt and both of the "twins" are parralleled  to a their own 3 cell Lipo 3200 mah capable of 20c (ie one battery pack per twin).  I have tested each motor individually on the Watt Meter and with my chosen prop the watts are about 220 watts each.  However when I try two motors together (ie one of the twins) I only get around 260 watts.  I had expected to get about 440watts.  Bizzarely though the physical thrust seems about right.

I have checked each ESC is programmed the same using my programming card.

Any thoughts?

Advert

Craig how well does the voltage hold up on your lipo when you run both motors? You are asking it for 44A. I know it is supposed to be able to supply over 60A. However, experience tells me that not all lipos can supply the current the claim too without a large drop in voltage and hence lower wattage output.

Hi Chaps,

Using a seperate ESC (turnigy 40amp for 1 to 4 cell lipos) for each motor so it is the ESC to battery leads that are parralled.

Im using a wattage watt meter.   I think if I remember correctly the voltage shown on the watt meter was 9.(cant fully recall the figure after the decimal point).  The voltage seemed to hold constant during the testing.

• 2 months later...
Hi Timbo,  just to close this thread really.

Sorry for the late reply to this but the model was just recently completed to "flight ready status" and maidened last week.  I spoke to my local e flight shop and tried some brand new JP 4100 (30c continuous) 3s packs.  Anyway with the new packs the watt meter held at a steady 10.9v when running two motors at once, and I was geting in the region of 520 watts

same story for the other set of motors so am getting over 1000 watts which is what I wanted.

Only conclusion I can come to is that the older cells I had been using for testing were unable to hold the current as Bruce suspected.

Edited By Craig Carr on 21/07/2009 09:41:19

Hi TImbo, first flight was a brief 3 minute sortie to get it trimmed.....  Model was way out needed full right aileron trim and full up trim.  Ive accidentely built 2deg neg incidence between main wing and tail (doh)..... 

Could rejig/pack out the main wing to bring back to zero zero but dropped Tony an email and think the best thing to do is live with the up elevator trim (although I have reset the trims to neutral on my tx and mecahnically adjusted the trim back on the model so I have full trim adj on my tx again if I need it).

Now I know if flys the plastic parts have been repainted with a much better match to the profilm (you may recall earlier thread) - thats all done now and Im just fitting some cowls over the outrunners.

When rain stops am going to take some pics of the model reapinted and cowled and will post.

Thanks for the help

Craig