Micro Rx Battery Packs

You'd think with all the goodies and development we've come to expect that I could find a micro 50ma niwhatever pack.

Looked everywhere I can think of! I have around 30mmx20mmx20mm ish to play with and I'd prefer a Futaba plug but hey ..... beggars !

All and any help greatly appreciated. 

Advert

Sorry!

Yes I need a very small 4.8 volt RX pack for a micro RX and two 5g servos. Can't wait to start building my A3 scale Sixpence Mk2. glider,but like to have all the hardware available to work with before I start.

I could put together my own pack, but I much prefer the peace of mind knowing it doesn't rely on my soldering 

Many thanks,
John 

• 4 weeks later...
Well I found what I was looking for here :-

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com

#G164B 4.8v 160mah NiMH 1/3 AAA Block Pack.
Cell: GP 160mA 1/3 AAA
Discharge rate: 1C (160mA)
Size; L .57" x W .86" x H .86".
Weight: 1oz. 

They cost $8 + $1 for Futaba plugs + shipping of course.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll post a photo of the finished article forthwith. 

Phil, Timbo,
 My little Multiplex fox flies happily on 120mAh with 2 sub micro servos and a Corona RP4S1 receiver. Current draw is low even when wiggling the sticks (did measure it at the time, but forgot the actual figure). I just carry a couple of spare packs in my pocket, made up from cells from the Component Shop (see Andy's link above).

Well in the end I have to start somewhere ( did I really write that ).

The plan shows a 50ma pack and two 9g servos, so with the bigger pack, 5g servos and a little Jeti receiver I hope all will be well.

There's probably someone very clever looking in who could tell us exactly  home much airtime I'll get. 

I'll keep you posted ....
John 

Well I have done the maths and can report that the figure is exactly...

..............not very long

We need to know typical current draw in flight really John. You could measure it as I said earlier, and put a little pressure on the control surfaces as you waggle the sticks...'twould be a start at estimating flight times.

There's some comment about the max current draw from the pack John selected.

Andy Freeman's posting with the link to Component-shop says "if you don't mind soldering your own" but if you look at their site you'll find they do small made-up packs such as this 210 mAH 4-cell pack with Futaba (or other) connectors, and this one has a max. discharge rate of 1.5 A - so plenty to drive several servos.  This one weighs 23g.  As standard it conmes with a "JST" 2-pin polarised connector (strictly a JST-EHY connector).

The smallest one is 120 mAH (bigger than you requested but it only weighs 15 grammes).  It's physically larger than you want (in one direction) but if you cut the heatshrink you may be able to bend the tags and double it up.  If not then cut the tags, rearrange the cells and solder the tags back together (directly or with bare wire). Then wrap in tape.  Soldering the tags TO the cells is hard (commercial tags are welded not soldered) but soldering tag-to-tag is dead easy.

To work out how long flight-time this will give requires either under-load current measurement or guesswork!  Small servos and Rxs don't necessarily mean small current draw.  Rule of thumb: 4 servos plus Rx used to run an hour or so on old-type 400 mAH NiCd packs, so 2 servos and an Rx out to run for an hour on this.  But check every ten minutes and stop when the pack voltage is under nominal: 4.8 volts.

Edited By John Cole on 17/07/2009 15:30:39

Edited By John Cole on 17/07/2009 15:37:44

A good plan!

The battery(s) will be here in 1-14 days (a bit like the current draw eh ?) then it will take me a while to build 1 day to ( well I have some I started pre 1990 that aren't quite finished).

Then we're good. Don't have to wait for a dry day to fly, 'cause we have 340 days sunshine a year here. The winds are light to moderate on those days also. But then there's the golf, the sailing, the windsurfing, the wife - but hey - it is up there high in my list of priorites - I just spent money on the kit to do it

Don't touch the knob  - sorry dial, I'll be right back after these messages from our sponsors ...........