Walkera 37

Pete B

Hi Gents,
I'm a bit off familiar ground here - fixed wing is my usual territory. Wandering around a car boot last weekend I came across a Walkera 37, a bit worse the wear, but for £14 I thought it might be worth a punt.

Since then I've trawled the various forums for information and I get the impression Walkeras are not universally held in high regard.......

However, I'd like your views in whether it's worth my while - and cash- to tidy it up and dip a toe in the water, so to speak!

So far, I've established that I need to replace the following:

New set of blades (one cracked at root)
New tail boom (see photo). Belt appears ok
Replace flybar linkage (see photo). How is this linkage termed?
Upgrade the brushed motor for brushless ( i have a 3s 1800mah Li-Po that will do nicely as a replacement). The Align L430 seems to be the favoured motor but I can't find it in the UK. Would any similar c. 3500kv model from GC or BRC, etc be suitable?
Transmitter - battery pack corroded - sort this out or use my Dx6i in heli mode?

Does anyone know of a UK retailer who stocks #37 spares? There seems to be a lot of contradiction on the net as to whether parts from the #36 and #60 are interchangeable with the #37 Any advice on suppliers and recommended spares would be appreciated.
I'm aware that this isn't necessarily the best way to approach this branch of the hobby but I'm keen to give it a bash!
Some pics:

Your candid comments are most welcome!

Pete

Advert

Hi howes models at kidlington nr oxford used to sell walkera helis you might get some bit there or flebay. You may find bits from other makes fit. I think its called a flybar link from what i can see on the picture. You are quite correct walkera's don't have the best rep although i have never had any experience of them. 
  Good luck with your project. Paul

Thanks, guys. I've checked Ebay - ok for blades but very few spares specifically for #37. Walkera-rc.com have all the spares listed so it will probably be simplest for me to put in one order with them. Some of the multi-packs of blades on Ebay seem very reasonable - are you aware of any quality issues with them? 

Pete

Hi Pete
When you are learning to hover the cheap foam blades are the best thing to stick with, as they do less damge to the heli if you tutch the blades on things, but if you need to make them more robust just cover them in packing tape or soia film, this makes them last a lot longer and stifens them up so you get less boom strikes.
Happy hovering Owen.

I placed an order for the needed parts with Walkera-RC.com. Unfortunately they emailed me to say that a number of items were no longer available so, if they haven't got the bits, I'm not going to trawl the world on the off-chance of picking up the right bits. I think this is destined to become an ornament!
 Sorry, did I swear?

Thanks for the advice, all

Pete

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 26/06/2009 19:28:37