Prototype BULLET

Advert

Gents,

The main reason it does not drop a wing is because it is a flat sheet wing, every flat sheet wing model i have designed or flown has never dropped a wing it simply mushes and drops the nose, Nigel Hawes was a pioneer and still is in the flat sheet wing model. I am no expert but i believe it is due to the fact the fact it is not symetrical means it has even pressure on top and bottom at same time, so simply stops flying until the angle of attack on the wing is fast enough to provide lift again.

grant

That sounds about right. Flat sheet wings always tend to have next to no bad habits in a stall. Just look at shockies and they behave well, I have about 5 prifile foamy jets at the min and none of them have any vices in a stall.
Its a cool looking plane, any chance of a plan? Mr Ashby might be able to squieze it in befor the end of the year!

it would be worth finding out how she flys with out the winglets, the BULLET airfoil is loosely based on RG 15 it has not got the exact co-ordinates, when i built the bullet i wanted to see if i could build a cheap fun plane, most of the plane is made of balsa with a few carbon rods  buried in the balsa to add support. The fusalage flat profile skeleton is made and everything is added around it.  hope you enjoy.

Edited By Michael Howell on 11/07/2009 12:17:15

Posted by Timbo - Moderator on 11/07/2009 09:48:19:
Surely a flat sheet wing is very symmetrical?
 yes timbo you are right techincally, but i meant in the sense it is flat both sides where a symetrical is round the same both ends ,but as far as i am aware it doesnt need a angle of a attack for lift on a symetrical rounded wing, as the rounded leading edge does that for you,
most people when they tend to build flat sheet wings they tend to round the top leading edge which therically means its semi-semitrical lololo

there are still people out there who say a flat sheet wing cannot fly even after all the thousands of depron designs and balsa ones.

grant

i agree MANY FLAT SHEET wings fly, the wings on this plane although sheet balsa are shapped to a profile symilia to a rg 15, i wouldnt want to fly a fast plane with out any profile. do not think it would be stable enough, although it would work. you would be using up more power at a higher angle of attack to create lift. ,i i like working with sheet wings it all depends on what you are designing the model to do, they all work flat semi and symetrical.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...