Working with foam wings.

I am (one day I hope) getting my foam wings from FoamWings for my K18 1/4 scale. Each wing will therefore be in the order of 1.9mtrs.
I have never worked with foamies before and am a bit concerned that I may muck them up (and they're not cheap!)
Firstly I will install top and bottom spruce main spars into each wing, which should prove fairly easy with a long straight edge and a sharp knife, but I am worried about the root work to make sure the main connectors etc are strong enough to support a fairly heavy fusalage on these huge wings.
Can anyone please advise how I should go about this, preferably with a few pics? Do I hollow out the foam in the ends, leaving the obechi covering, and build up the root area as I would have done with a fully built-up wing using ply ribs and a box between the spars etc., or is there some way one can adequately attach the securing system into the foam core, bearing in mind that the main connector is a stainless flat-bar some 1" wide?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
[email protected]

Advert

Many thanks for that JETSOME. The wing connection system on this model (K18 from C.Charlesworth plans) is a steel spar, about 25mm wide X 3mm thick, protruding from each wing. These plug into a steel box mounted in the fusalage which have the dihedral angle built into it. This means that the steel spar comes straight out of the wing. It does not have to be at an angle. My thoughts therefore, following your advice, is to make a box that will fit between the top and bottom main spars holding the steel spar, and then epoxy this in place. Then I'll put two HD ply panels each side the full wing depth, attached to front and back of the main spars.
Manay thanks for getting the thought process going!

Thanks again Jetsome. I was thinking of making the wing connection slightly more flexible (to offer a bit of protection in case of wing hits on landing for example) by attaching hooks into each wing root and then joining these across the fuz, wing to wing, with HD elastic or a spring or something similar.
I had a 3mtr Cirus with this arrangement and it worked well. Just lets the wings move a bit on catching something on landing. I fly from the Mendips here and there are usually plenty of gorse and other bushes around when you come in! Sod law says you'll catch one!
Cheers!