6 motors

Olly P

Right,
I'm thinking about powertrains for my Zveno project. I want it to be electic powered and have found some lovely props, I know the power requirements (I need to work out the splits but hey...

The next thing I am wrestling with is the way to connect it up.
I want 3 pairs of motors during inital flight, dropping to 2 pairs later.

This will be in the form of a pair of outboard, main wing motors, a pair of inboard main wing motors and a pair of (later detached) parasite motors, all controlled from the same throttle channel.

I would think that at least 3 ESC's and 3 batteries would be the best way to go, but how do I rig it?

Thanks in advance
Olly P

Advert

I take it you are using brushless motors - if so you will need six ESCs I am afraid - otherwise any one pair of motors trying to feedback correct rotor positions to only one ESC will cause havoc. Not sure how you will physiacally arrange the disconnection of the 2 motors, but as far as rigging it goes, then I guess your best bet would be to mix a spare channel as slave to throttle master and connect these two "detachable" motors ESCs in parallel, to the slave channel for throttle commands. Otherwise, simply parallel all six ESCs up and connect to throttle channel as normal, the fact that 2 ESCs suddenly "disappear" later on should not affect the remaining 4.
Its late, and my brain is tired, so may have to digest your rig a bit further

First point....you need an ESC per motor....you can't run 2 brushless motors off 1 ESC.

Second point....given that you would connect the two parasite motors to the ESC for flight, how would you disconnect them in flight?? Normal connectors need a fair tug to get them apart....I think you would need to use some sort of butt contact (ie a spring loaded contact that connects with some metal pads) to make this connection.

Is not the way forward to have both the underwing planes completely self contained & controlled by two mates so they can drop away from the transport & fly back to earth under their own steam/control......just a thought

Olly P.
I think I agree with Steve.
Surely the 4 engine TB3 by itself will be quite a project.

So if you installed a mechanism to drop the I-16s from under the wings then they could be simple gliders or self contained powered versions with their own control systems, which was of course what the original had.

As far as I can tell the I-16s carried their own fuel and there was no provision to transfer any from the TB3.

Right, morning after night before - and no hangover! Just a handover to do....

I'm currently thinking that I will build the I-16's as free flight gliders, possibly out of carved foam (speed and ease)

in the longer term I would like them to be replaced with 'proper' r/c craft, I will get round to this, but the bigger challenge will be the release mechanism for them, and I'd rather break cheap unpowered foam in failed detachments than expensive radio gear!

Olly