Ulta Fly Super Chipmunk 20 E. Scarey !

cagey

Double issue with mine, build and flying. The build was generally fair but the ply and balsa are the softest grades I've ever seen. Main u/c having no torque blocks, just a slot in a ply wing rib doubler which shattered after a sudden arrival, ( all my landings are !) The port m/p had a massive amount of washout built in, none on the stbd. This wasn't a twist that had developed after leaving the factory either, as a good survey through the lightenong cut outs at the root rib revealed no warps in the main spar or ribs, but an awful lot of misaligned structure, several parts with little or no glue. Fin and rudder both twisted like prop blades. Wing attachment 3mm bolt holes were so far out they had to be opened out replaced with 2BA. Motor mount to front bulkhead holes needed to be filled in and redrilled if the cowl to spinner / fuselage alignment could be attained. Rudder and elevator wire pushrod guide tubes had not been glued, there was glue on them, but not where they passed through the frames. Servo, Lipo and R / X tray only glued to one side ,leaving a 1mm gap on t'other.A few other niggles complete the build quality gripe. £120s worth ? Hmmm. The ad.claimed  that it has a wide range of controllable flying speeds, yep, fast and bloody faster. As an intermediate trainer it is too fast, especially on landing if you don't want to drop a wing, how do I know that ? Well if I carry on repairing the results of my crappy landings it'll soon be too heavy to fly. As it is anything less than 60% throttle and it's as predictable as the weather. Scarey indeed. 
I'd really like to hear from anyone else if they agree or disagree with my findings.