fast tail servo ????

weasel

is it necessary to fit a high speed servo, on my helo. it is a sceadu 50 evolution, the servo i have on at the moment is a futaba s.3010 running with a gy.401 gyro. and seems to fly quite well with this. would replacing with a s.9254 make much difference to my flying, as i am not into 3D. just steady flying.. i have been told it"s a must have item. can someone enlighten me please..  thanks weasel.....

To be honest mate, if the tail is holding steady and not giving you any nasty surprises, I would leave your set up alone and enjoy your flying. When you start flying with more speed, to maybe attempt some basic aerobatics, you might find that the servo will not react quick enough, but even then I'd be surprised if it causes you any trouble. 

A fast servo will always be better, but you have a good gyro which is probably compensating for a slightly slower tail servo.

Don't fall into the money trap with helicopters. You don't have to have high end digital servos to fly well. You will see plenty of models with every upgrade you can think of at the flying field, which will then end up being no more than hovered around. It's easy to get carried away.......I'm certainly guilty of it at times.

Cheers,

Simon 

• 3 months later...
Savox servos are always gonna be fast, but on my T-Rex 500 Esp i bought a set  with the GY401 and a very quick futaba servo called S9257 it is very quick. but i wouldn't replace yours because you are not doing 3D but if you start  3D and see when you do a looping that the tail moves/wiggles, i think then you should get a new servo.

• 1 month later...
there really should be no problem why u cant use slower tail servo. unless ur wanting to really chuck it about u should be fine. i just put my self a gy 401 and s9254 on my raptor 50 cause i had a few lieing around . and to be honest there far faster then i remember . great for 3d stuff but i think i will probally just keep my smaller lipo powered helis for that stuff . i had my eye on a md 530 from ali hobbies looks nice and relitivly cheap at 170 quid .

actually on one of my electric helis i used a normal piezo gyro non heading hold type,and that impressed me it was 12 quid an esky one, i then updated just to follow the crowd so to speak to a heading hold one from the same company but only ever left it in non heading hold mode, it seemed to be a pain but that could be just me, it seemed to drift constantly no matter how i adjusted it seated it etc,was never sure if it was just the price i paid about 25 quid new quality etc or just how i had set it up, it was probably a fine gyro so am unable to comment on it, but my question been is it a case of the more you pay the better you get with regards gyro's and i only ask as people keep saying get a gy401?, as above the last gyro for a nitro heli i bought was a g154 and that never let me down.

the gy401 is great but i like the gp750 better . the esy gyro u mention the black hh ones are poor very temp sensitive and do suffer from drift i ended up trimming the heli out in hh to get it to stop not the best soloution but it works . as for the esk rate gyros my first heli used them . used loop that king 2 with that on was a bad setup . but all my stuff now is decent stuff . thanks to good deals from all my mates @ www.heliguy.com

yeah i like heliguy,fastlad and Elite Models, i liked the CP2 i had a couple of years back and the king which i put a 3900kv upgrade in as stock 370 failed after 2 minutes the Belt Cp was ok to,but the Cp2 was brill for trying loops rolls inverted etc i really wasnt afraid if i crashed it cost about 12 quid to repair i think??, it was the first heli i tried inverted with i flipped idle up rolled it but got muddled up and it sucked itself quickly to the floor although it got damaged it was flying again later that day even with a new canopy and woods head parts (MAIN SHAFT QUICK BEND BACK TO SHAPE), and it was flying again.

Edited By michael birks on 22/01/2010 20:04:45

first flight of raptor today
 had two flights 
first was fine second one the glow plug fell out . unplaned auto nose in 50 foot up and 100 foot away from me . first real auto on any heli that can auto well . i can auto a 450 trex but its more like flying it in flat out then a real auto . didnt do to bad i did get a boom strike cause my blades were too slack but was happy . only damaged the boom 8 quid not a bad first auto

Ben,

I had the exact same thing earlier with my Raven 50!

It was inverted in a roll... and the engine stopped. I've never done an auto before, so i thought now might be a good time to try it!

I got it down ok, and it turns out my plug fell out as well!

As for the tail servo, i've got the GY401/S9254 on the Raven and it's great. I've flown a Raptor 30 with a standard jr digital servo on the tail, and it was fine. As said earlier on here, if it's working, leave it.

Sheldon 

Ben,

I had the exact same thing earlier with my Raven 50!

It was inverted in a roll... and the engine stopped. I've never done an auto before, so i thought now might be a good time to try it!

I got it down ok, and it turns out my plug fell out as well!

As for the tail servo, i've got the GY401/S9254 on the Raven and it's great. I've flown a Raptor 30 with a standard jr digital servo on the tail, and it was fine. As said earlier on here, if it's working, leave it.

Sheldon 

Posted by Gareth Hatcher on 03/02/2010 18:06:07:
Gents, if your glow plugs are falling out in flight you are running too lean. You must richen your mixture immediately or you risk total engine destruction.

It wasn't running lean - i've had experiences with that before resulting in a hole in the piston! It was that i simply didn't tighten the plug *enough*.