Mini Jazz

Gareth Hunt

Hi, I'm new to flying, so excuse my lack of experience!

To be honest, it struggles vertical as if there's not enough power or too much weight, but handles nicely for a beginner like me. I tried a roll and to fly inverted but can't remember what happened-it must have dropped and I panicked and nose dived into the ground.

I built a new lighter fuselage and have had a couple of flights with this (been too windy to fly with my lack of experience) and it seems twitchy, but the jazz flies slower now.

I think I prefered it with the extra weight!!

Anyhow, I've ordered enough balsa to build 2 models, and plan to put a larger motor in (fits in with your moto!!), what difference would moving the cog back make to the handling?

Cheers, Ian.

Advert

Posted by Ian Southerton 1 on 26/07/2013 20:51:39:

img_20130726_192917.jpgHi

Finally flew my electric mimi jazz, have a turnigy d2836-8 1100kv motor, 40a esc and a 1500mah lipo.

Cog is 65mm back, but i had to put around 200grams in the nose-anybody else found this?

Ian.

Mine is COG 65mm too. Not your problem.

Sounds like you are a beginner and probably a heavy model too. What does yours weigh ?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow response, musr look at the site more often!

AUW was 2lb 5oz or 1040 grams, unfortunately it now weighs about 2lbs as the other 5oz is stuck in the ground after i crashed it-however, i've nearly built another mini jazz with made up elevator instead of solid, plastic snake pushrods, light balsa etc so hopefully i should be able to keep the weight down.

Only thought now is whether to mount the aileron servos on top of the wing and not use undercarriage as the grass is always too long for take offs and landings-any suggestions?

Malcom, if you were to design another plane, how about a mini jazz with a high wing, more stable for novices like myself, but will still look good and fit in the boot of a small hatchback!

Thanks, Ian.

Posted by Malcolm Corbin on 28/07/2013 22:15:17:

How did it fly ? Did you try inverted if yes was stick neutral or did you have to push down in??

My moto.... "Never add weight. Fit bigger motor" OR bigger Li poly

CG is very much a personal thing!!!! Some of the display boys in the sandown era flew model with such rearward CG you would be amazed !!

Tried flying inverted briefly today and i have to use a lot of down elevator, out of curiosity, why did you ask?

I've been flying my repaired jazz whenever possible, but i messed up when i built it and the tail fin is too far forward.

Anyway, Friday, i had to keep pushing the nose down at it kept lifting up into a head wind, i tried inverted a few times and felt it needed less down elevator to stop the nose dropping!

I seem to get different results every time i fly!

The newly built jazz should be finished soon a little lighter and with a more powerful motor, i'm just deciding whether to spend £27 on a cowl and canopy-seems pricey?

Anway thanks for all the replies and advice.

Ian.

I've received the canopy and cowl and am not too impressed for the £27 it cost me, the return postage was only £2.40 so the packing must have been expensive!

Before i cut them to fit, i made a plaster mould of the insides. I noticed this morning, the wife had bought some Tesco croissants with the nice clear plastic lid, so may spend some time with my 8 year old and the wife's hair dryer to see if I can make a canopy!

I've had to sand a lot of material to get the nose cone and the canopy to fit, so i can understand how Malcom's jazz weighed 7oz bare and mine weighed 8.

What's the best way to fix the canopy and cowl?.

Ian.