Inverted flying - Simulator vs real stuff

Hi All,

As some of you may have read, I've had to brush up a lot on my heli flying as part of my additional job with the Hampshire Fire & Rescue RC helicopter.  So I've been using the simulator and a few of my helicopters to get up to scratch.

But on the simulator the mind starts to wander and I start doing silly things including inverted flying - how realistic is the Phoenix when compared to the real thing when flying inverted?    Not confident enough to try it out on any of my babies yet! 

Cheers

Bryce

Advert

Hi Bryce,

Depends on the Sim's physics, the specific model maker's physics accuracy, etc, etc, etc, etc............

In the case of Phoenix and the TRex 450 (I actually have a GL450SE but hey, they are the same), loops, rolls and inverted are VERY accurately portrayed.

I went for ages on the Sim not having the bottle to do it for real....and when I did, if "felt" just the same...................................as the modern idiom goes......simples..................

I don't think it's the same, purely due to the fact that you are not worried about crashing and damaging your heli, or causing potential injury to anyone watching. However, I think sims are brilliant tools for practicing and learning more advanced skills. For example, I can just about fly inverted backwards on the sim, but my attempts in real life have so far been rather poor, but I think I've avoided plenty of potential crashes because of the reactions I've built up during my time on the sim......bit like muscle memory I guess.

Trying hard to do about 20 minutes a night, can definitely see an improvement in my flying.

Cheers,

Simon