Replacing I/C engine with electric motors

I have nearly finished a 70" Bristol Beaufighter designed for two 25 to 35 2-strokes. At the last minute I thought it might be a good idea to fit electric motors instead, due to problems of getting engines to fit inside the moulded cowlings as there is little space and fuel spillage on paintwork etc. I would also like to fit realistically scaled 3 bladed props.
Can anyone suggest what motors and props etc to fit of equivalent power. I expect all up weight to be about 5.5kgs.

Advert

Thanks for the info.
I have revised the AUW of the plane by actually weighing all the assemblies and with the motors and batteries I expect it to be about 3.4/3.5kg, much less than originally thought.
I have been looking at the AXI motors on the ModelMotors website, unfortunately all model weights seem to be related to single engine designs. Would 2 engines suitable for 1.7kg equal 1 engine suitable for 3.4kg or is it more complicated than that?
The AXI 2820 series is for 600-700 size planes, what does that mean?
A quick calculation from the formula on their website suggests a total power of about 700-900W. So would a pair of 300W motors be enough?
Cost isn't really an issue, but I would like to get it right first time.

hi alan
firstly if your model weighs 3.4kg-3.5kg would it not be a good idea to give yourself a little leeway and aim at motors capable of lifting lets say 4.5kg i'm a great believer of the school of "you can never have too much power". if a model is designed for 40-60 power would you not fit a 60??? sure it might fly on a 40 but it might only just fly on a 40.
the watt's is your power rating in basic terms 748w is 1 hp so in answer to will it fly on 2 300w motors i would'nt have thought so if it says 700-900w thats what you need not 600w which is what you are asking to fly it on are you not??
the "600-700 size planes" refer's to the old can type motors about .25 size
hope that helps
regards
steve

• 1 year later...