Do old power aerobatic planes slope ?

Hi,
   I have an old Falcon Aviation Eurobat plane that used to fly well on a 35CC petrol engin, its 84 inch span. But now the engine is a bit sick and and I no longer have a flying site suitable. I was wondering is it worth ditching the engine bolting on some lead and a nose cone of some sort and chucking it off a hill in 25 mph?
Will it be worth the effort or will it be a brick ? weight 8.2 Kg, wing area 6360 sq cm  inner chord 43cm  outer chord at wing tip 31cm span 212 cm

Geoff

Advert

Posted by Phil Wood - Moderator on 17/10/2009 16:36:27:
.......You could Google "PSSA" and see what those guys think.................I'd just chuck it and shout "DEADSTICK"

Polyphilla.

go on phil 'sss.....if it dont work-it'll be a load of dead stick's.......

ken anderson.......  's

Edited By ken anderson. on 17/10/2009 17:08:42

I have registered on the PSSA  forum but will have to wait 24 hours for access. Googles first hit is the Prison Service Sports Association I doubt if they manage to get to any good flying sites. I used metric measurements cause I thought imperial would confuse all the youngsters on the forum. 
Weight 18 lb
span 84 inches or 288 oz
chord 17 inchs inner
chord 12.2 inches outer
therefore  wing area is  1689 sq inch or 11.66 sq ft
Wing loading is 1.54 lb  per sq ft or 24oz per sq ft.
I dont normaly dable in the dark arts of wing loadings  and Reynolds numbers . so would it be a floater or an ingot. The wind airofoil is fairly thick and semetrical .
 But on the other hand if some bloke called Christophe can do this with a Zlin

Why can't I ?.  see for the video http://www.slopeaerobatics.com/?q=node/164

It may only be 7 ft wing span but its got a 17 inch cord, so  its a fair old one piece plank.. Even I can hide behind it with nothing showing (just)
I'm going to find a cowl / flowerpot and chuck it and see . Any suggestions for a cowl?
Roll on the Autumn gales.
I may need to recruit a shot putter to launch the thing though especially as its a low winger
Roll on the Autumn gales.
Geoff

17" chord is a big un I grant you - ooo err missus - but nonetheless, I still wouldnt fancy throwing it off anything high in less than a really good "lifty" wind. We know how easy the dreaded sink can suddenly appear, or how the wind direction can shift slightly, and suddenly you could be running downhill looking for a very heavy plank - and praying on the way down that you dont find it sticking out of something it shouldnt be
That huge B52 bomber of Simon Cocker's is a smaller chord wing... but it only weighs 2/3rds of what yours does

Alex,
   I was thinking Down the hill on a mountain bike should get enough air speed .That makes you prime suspect for the launch .
I obviously miscalculated above 42 oz per sq ft is right so the eurobat is  defiantly a brick .

I cant afford a new engine and I still have the scars from starting this engine with a 20 inch prop by hand.

Already got a 60 inch wild thing.

I'm thinking sell it and put the proceeds towards getting  a Fox or JART

Geoff - I'd be up for that Maybe we could rig it up behind Roger's bungy. Almost limitless potential for broken bones there. Only Jart I've ever seen spent most of its' time in deep subs soil experiments. It's very, very fast.

Timbo has one that's been *ahem* repaired a few times but as you can see he loves it. 

Indeed.... one of the two "recommended" methods of landing your jart is to adopt the missile stance and head for some soft stuff and whack it in nose first. The other requires a tad more skill and deploys spoilerons to apply some braking, and drop her in flattish from a virtual stall. Needless to say, "The Big Rock" requires method 2 if you are to take her home in similar condition to that as she was when brought, even then.... the Gelcoat likes to split and flake off even if you just stare her out

• 2 weeks later...