Orion-E electric glider build blog

David E

There's a letter in the current mag lamenting the lack of choice for basic rudder/elevator/motor gliders. I agree that some classics such as the Gentle Lady are dated or no longer available. I'm still flying my Orion_E which was built over 2011/2012 and I'm sure you can still buy the kit. This is an excellent model, which seems to be overlooked for some reason. Looking at this thread will show that it has a following. Easy to build, cheap and a good flier. Not an ARTF, but a simple build. I was flying mine this morning and have had some long flights with it this summer, almost losing it overhead! The Orion got me into gliding, I also have an E-Hawk 1500 but I'm tempted to get an Easy glider next, I only read good reports in RCM&E about its performance and durability. There's enough choice of gliders without spending a mint on the latest C/F model.

• 6 months later...

hi everyone,,,, iam new here,,,,just need your help....I have built a orion ,,,,and I want to add a elec motor,,,i have 2 at the moment... a emax cf2822 1200kv,and a xxd a2212/13t 1000kv,,just need a bit of help.as to what ratingof li-po battery. ie amh and the C rating ,will be ok for these motors,,,i have 30A esc,,, thanks,bob.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Have just started to build an Orion e but have a problem when trying to open the photos. I get this message.

Forbidden

Access to this resource on the server is denied!

I am a subscriber and am logged in have contacted the office and they promised to arrange for someone to call me but am still waiting.Has anyone else had this problem?

Regards Pete

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have recently bought an old brushed Orion E which I have converted to brushless and lipo.

Having not flown for over 3 years I felt like starting out again with something a bit gentler than my normal foamy 3D profiles.

I must say that after 6 flights the Orion seems to be pretty much dialed in now and have I started to enjoy the relaxing flight that this small glider gives me.

I run a Keda 1450Kv out runner motor and a 3 cell 800 Mah lipo.

I also have an Easy Pigeon that is also running a brushless set-up but have yet to try it out.

John