Westland Whirlwind electric

tbird

Advert

Hello and welcome. Having built one of these beasts, they need a lot of weight up front, you might be better using a big NiMh and brushed motors. Sorry to be negative, but there is not much room for more ballast in the nacelles and the fuselage nose is to the aft of the motors and the domed hatch is lightweight and removeable.

I would still alaways suggest brushless these days, and as for ballast, why not simply use a nice large capacity battery? This gives you balance, and long flight times too.
3lb+ model..... fairly fast speed required.... smallish props....how about these ?

Or if money is real tight... these could work too.
Remember that two of them will give you around 280 Watts.

If the first one is a bit too hot ( high Kv ) then finally... these.
Plenty of power and decent quality at reasonable price.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 22/10/2009 18:40:44

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. I take note of Richard Bonds point of a lot of weight required up front on the model, but I definitely want to go the brushless route. I will have to sort the balance problem out  using other means.

tbird
Nice looking build but is this not another version of the "Hornet" problem?

Rather than put weight in the nacelles is it not possible to put batteries in there instead?

The original design layout was driven by the fact that the RR Peregrines were by far the heaviest single fixed component - just as the batteries are in a brushless "leccy" flier.