How much power???!!!!

Yorkman

Further to my thread asking for motor guidance for the GAD Mosquito, she's up and flown her first two flights today.
I fitted two of these http://www.giantcod.co.uk/fc2805-1600kv-brushless-outrunner-motor-p-403764.html as recommended by Timbo, with an 1800 mAh 2s lipo (after tests with a 3s smoked the motors!).
Model weighs about 16oz (will weigh tonight at work)-did a static thrust test on the table last night against a spring balance- 1 and a quarter pounds! Eeek!
Well, put simply, it's ballistic. Flies around perfectly happily on 1/3-1/4 throttle, half throttle and it's a pretty good Saturn 5 impersonation, full? Didn't dare try! Wanted the wings to stay on!!!
Perhaps I should try a 1s battery?
Certainly kept me on my toes-specially as that's only about the 4th time I've flown anything this year.

Advert

Hi Yorkman. Glad it went well.
Always nice to have bit more power than needed, rather than too little eh
I think the specs do recommend a 2s not a 3s
If you are still finding it a tad quick, then you could just prop it down a bit more, smaller diameter would reduce " thrust and acceleration" and lower pich will reduce the actual flying speed.
For experimemtation, theres nowt to stop you trying a single cell, but I reckon you may need to prop up a bit then to get decent power, and the revs will drop a lot too of course.