More help programming DX6i please!

Yorkman

You can use the throttle trim to achieve this. I know its not a simple as a switch but its not too hard. I am sure that in combination with programming the ESC end points you could set it up so that with the trim fully down the motor was stopped but with a few clicks of trim it would keep the motor turning..

Edited By Bruce Richards on 26/10/2009 21:39:27

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 26/10/2009 21:15:24:
Probably via a mix somehow...but why not simply use the throttle trim lever to add a little idle speed, just as in IC, or indeed, simply not close the throtttle stick fully during flying?

That's the simple answer-but not so easy in practise I found this afternoon-the Mossie has so much power that the difference between 'cruise' power (i.e. sustaining level flight) and 'idle'-descent to land in effect-is so small that reducing power to that level is a hit and miss affair to say the least...and then when one motor doesn't start with the other as you ease the throttle open again to keep on the glideslope...oh well, thanks to superglue we have a flyable model again-tho not quite as pretty as it was

Posted by Yorkman on 26/10/2009 21:34:45:
would be perfectly simple with the old style 'mechanical' trim levers...does anyone think digital trims are an improvement? I certainly don't.

In some ways yes, and others no. Good in so far as they dont get accidentally moved when the Tx is not inuse, but bad for the fact that they can be so slow to operate - nothinhg worse than test flying an unproven model, and quickly realising that it needs abootful of up trim or similar...only to find yourself frustarated by the slowness of the digis to get there!

Posted by Timbo - Administrator on 26/10/2009 22:04:47:
Posted by Yorkman on 26/10/2009 21:34:45:
would be perfectly simple with the old style 'mechanical' trim levers...does anyone think digital trims are an improvement? I certainly don't.

In some ways yes, and others no. Good in so far as they dont get accidentally moved when the Tx is not inuse, but bad for the fact that they can be so slow to operate - nothinhg worse than test flying an unproven model, and quickly realising that it needs abootful of up trim or similar...only to find yourself frustarated by the slowness of the digis to get there!

plus-with mech trims you can 'feel' how far you've moved it..

back on the subject-explain this one?
If I mix elev-elev D-30 U-0 when I flick the mix on, up elevator movement is reduced.
Ditto, aile-aile, and rudd-rudd-both move less in one direction.
Why, then, if I mix thro-thro exactly the same, nothing happens?
(I'm experimenting with a servo plugged in to throttle channel, not the esc's) movement of throttle servo does not change when inputting mixing values that affect the other three channels identically

I must either be lucky or good at setting up the throttles on all my elec fleet ( 6 in all ) not many but all perfectly contollable. Take model to flight line with trim fully off, put model on ground and open trim to midrange, motor goes and is on tickover. Open throttle, motor speeds up and model takes off. On landing close throttle motor goes to tickover and lands. Clear flight line close trim, motor stops. All my models work this way which I thought was the norm. Maybe I am not good , but very luckey
Garry

The DX7 has a throttle cut button and this can be set to slowly close the trim down to zero as per a mechanical version, and then either slowly go back to midpoint ( "tickover" ) or be set to instantly return to this preset point by one touch of the lever.
I cant remeber if this is the same on the wifes DX6i.... but I seem to think it isnt 

No prob Timbo, am going to have a further play with mine, see if maybe I can do something with a rudder/throttle mix as the Mossie doesn't have rudder control.
Tried using throttle trim this afternoon, which meant making a neckstrap as I never use one! Worked fine tho, even managed to find the switch and cut power completely on short finals to carry out my best 'arrival' with it so far -practise makes perfect

• 7 months later...
Posted by Yorkman on 27/10/2009 16:51:40:
ok, have come to the conclusion, though it's not mentioned in the manual, that the throttle can not be programmed as the 'slave' channel.
If anyone knows different, please let me know!

Guess I'm right with this, then-as no one has been along to argue!