AR 500

John Gallard

I have fitted a AR500 to a model with separate aileron servos but cannot get the ailerons to work properly, both ailerons go up and down in synchro,acting like flaps or spoilers. I know the extra aileron socket is not a channel, merely a wired link but the blurb claims it is suitable for dual servo ailerons. What am I missing in the setup?

Advert

The 2 aileron ports on the AR500 act in exactly the same way as a Y lead. As Timbo and Yorkman have pointed out, for a Y lead set up to work, the servos need to be 'handed'. In other words the servos either mounted as Timbo suggests (useful if the servos are mounted on their sides) or the linkeage on opposite sides of the output shaft as Yorkman suggests (this works well if the servos are mounted top up).

I would personally support the second method suggested by Timbo, and use a seperate channel. Providing you have enough channels free and are using a computer radio, this offers some advantages. Should one channel fail and it's happened to me, the other aileron will get you back safely. Also, there are programming advantages such as being able to use flapperons/spoilerons and easier differential adjustment.

If all of this won't work, you can buy a servo reversing Y lead!

• 3 weeks later...
Just a thought, are the servos actually correct. 

Earlier this year I bought 3 identical not inexpensive micro servos of a type widely available through a large distibutor.  Two worked one way and one the other.  Close inspection through the transparent case showed a different looking amplifier in the odd one.

Thx Clive M - "Mate Gear" worked in Flaperon mode. NB set-up was a bit obscured given that no mate option shows under Wing Type Flaperon.. Found it worked though if first set-up as WT Normal – then switch back to WT Flaperon.

Also thx for the link. I will need some time to digest the info.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I agree there is a lot to digest in that article. I just pick at his setups and modify them otherwise it's just too much like heavy going! I found his glider setups particularly useful. Try programming'SIX SERVO AIRCRAFT WITH FULL TRAILING EDGE CAMBER, TURNING ON THE LAUNCH, CRUISE, CAMBER FLIGHT MODE AND A MOTOR' from the manual! I think that I would still be screaming without his guide

Edited By Clive Matthews on 10/12/2009 23:51:14