Help - Servo Compatability?

Steve  biplane

Hi, I'm a beginner with a question. I have Futaba FF6 Tx and R138DF Rx but I want to know if I can use other makes of servos with it. Specifically can I use either Hitec or Jamara servos? Will they be electronically compatible and will the plugs/sockets all fit together?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Advert

Yup. The only thing you may need to do is shave off the little tags on futaba servo plugs if using with other rx. I am not 100% about Jamara (pretty sure here though)Sanwa and Acoms, having never had any, but Futaba, Hitec, Protech, Tower, JP, JR are all compatible. Just make sure you connect them correctly as they don't all have common wiring colours.

Shaun,
Thanks for the info.
When you say "Just make sure you connect them correctly as they don't all have common wiring colours" I assume you mean the order of 'little tag', white, red, black wires.
If the wires are not in the right order I'm not sure what I can do about it because the servo plug looks like a sealed unit.
Thanks again,
Steve

I think most servos are electronically compatable, but some manufacturers use different polarity & wire colours.
As a user of both Fleet & Futaba radios, I have to be aware of the +ve & -ve wires being transposed-easily sorted by releasing the two wires from the servo plug (use a pin to release the barb)& swapping them over.
I have also had some servos with orange, brown & red wires (JR colours?)-these are wired as Futaba with the Orange being the signal wire(white in Futaba)

Just a word of caution ( beginners section remember )
When lifting the little plastic "barb" in order to remove the connector pins, be very careful not to lift /stain them too far, as they then may either break /become weak / or simply not clip down again properly. This could cause the pin to come out as you insert the plug into the socket with disastrous consequences. I am not trying to scare you off doing it, it really is a safe and common practice, but just be careful :-)
JR = orange signal/brown negative/red positive
Fut = white signal/black negative/red positive