Kyosho 'Calmato' Sport

I was recently given a broken Kyosho 'Calmato' Sports.  This is the model that takes a 40-46 motor.  The front of the fuselage had been snapped off completely and the formers ripped out as far as where the trailing edge of the wing fits.  However, the sides of the fuz fit back where it was snapped, exactly.  Also, the formers and the servo(s) mounting plate are missing, as well as the celluloid cockpit canopy.  The strange thing is that it seems that this plane has been trashed prior to any motor or radio gear ever being fitted - there's no tell-tale sign of fuel residue anywhere!

The two sides of the wings each have their root ribs either broken or missing, also the dihedral brace is missing.  The fin and tailplane are undamaged.

Surprisingly, the surving parts of this model are in excellent condition, which means that it will be an interesting, and I hope, viable winter 'repair project'.

The front undercarriage legs and wheels are mounted and intact. 

I am wondering where I can source various bits of information on this model, such as: what is the dihedral angle (to replace the brace) - is it possible to find a cockpit canopy - what is the exact width of the fuselage at the first (engine mounting) Former 'F1' - and the position of the C of G?

I have ordered the plywood necessary for the formers, also a 40 size engine mount and steerable nosewheel leg, which should arrive in a few days.  Living in North Cyprus (TRNC), there are no such spares available - just a few ARTF's at the model shop - one has to order everything from UK and find someone who is prepared to bring it! 

Thanks, guys, in anticipation of some help and input  on this one!

Advert

• 5 months later...
Hi Ross - Some time has elapsed since I made my first posting - now I've repaired the plane completely.

I don't know how to contact Kyosho dırectly - is there an agent in UK, or any retailer that might stock spares?

I had to make a whole new front for the model and as I couldn' source a canopy, I made one out of a blue plastic pop bottle - a bıt shorter, but looks goodo!

You're SO lucky havıng a 'bought one' - get it airworthy pronto!

Good to hear from you guys!

I just have a few cosmetic jobbies to do on my 40 Sport.

We lost our flying field in Kyrenia, due to building development and haven't been able to find another that's any good - but we're still searching.

All the best places are held by the Turkish Army - all 'no go' areas and impossible to get permission to use these fields.  Also, any field here is covered with rocks and huge, thick-stemmed thistles, so although we have the weather, except in summer when it's too hot, we have only one flying field, which not only is miles away, but the owner of the only model shop in TRNC wants a huge annual subscription and also far too much of a monthly usage fee, and as far as I know everyone has boycotted him.

There are several perfect abandoned airfields, too, but all of them are occupied by the Turkish, or Turkish Cypriot Army.

There is a very good club (like you have in UK) on the Greek side in Nicosia, but because of the political bad-feeling between the Turks and Greeks, that's impossible to use, too.

Oh, the engine in my 40 Sport is a humble OS LA 40 - probably a bit underpowered - my friend in UK bought it 'for buttons' on Ebay and brought it out for me.

I've got about five models flight ready - having nowhere to fly is really frustrating!

But we're not beaten yet - there's got to be somewhere - it's just a matter of keeping on keeping on searching! 

Heaton,

Wow, five models including the Calmato and you have nowhere to fly!!!! That is like torture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you find somewhere soon mate.
I have had a good luck around the internet and unless you want to ring Japan, i cant find a way of contacting Kyosho and cant find any spares that you may need either. 
Think you might have to stick to homemade as you are doing.

Got any pics?

Good luck.