Twirl

Advert

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I have made my Twirl as per the plans, from 3mm Depron foam, and it flies really well, creating a lot of interest from other club members. I love flying it, something really different.

> >

However I have found several areas of the design to be weak, the problems are with the foam breaking or ripping, not the glue joints failing

> >

The motor mount as per the plan proved not to be strong enough and the motor and mount pulled away from the foam and doublers. The doublers were reinforced with 1.5 mm balsa sheet and the motor mount remounted with 10 mm balsa triangular braces. No further issues.

> >

The wing struts bottom mount broke out of the foam. Again balsa sheet strengthening to the fuselage, no further issues.

> >

The wing has pulled away from the foam fuselage where it is attached. I have reglued the foam where it ripped away, and will add 20 mm balsa triangular bracing, to the bottom of the wing and the fuselage, so hopefully that structural problem will be solved.

> >

My Twirl is not flown hard, only looped once to see if it would, and no crashes. Are my problems common to the Twirl design or a unique occurrence? My Twirl has had about a dozen flights so far.

> >

Cheers

> >

David

David
I think the problems you mention are fairly common with depron models, the thinner the depron the easier it cracks.
I have been advised to cover with laminating film but have not tested this yet, the weight gain may rule it out.
My Twirl had maybe 20 flights but the lugage cover in my Skoda estate is spring loaded to the open position so that when closed can snap open at the slightest touch.
The Twirl was in the boot and I rested my Tx on the cover ! when I accidently knocked the cover it snapped open, dropping the TX onto the Twirl